AuthorTopic: [WIP & C+C] Demon  (Read 3583 times)

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

[WIP & C+C] Demon

on: August 03, 2016, 02:16:03 pm
EDIT: Changed the thread name because beyond anatomy.

This is what I'm working on atm. Would like help with the arms, hands and neck area, and they aren't looking right to me.

I'm currently working in one of my favourite skin pallets, once i figure out all the shading i will be turning it all grey. But i was having difficulties coming up with a functional grey pallet to use cold, so that's why he's the wrong colour.

Reference sheet:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 12:08:31 pm by heyy13 »

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Re: [WIP & C+C] Male Anatomy

Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 03:34:31 am
Worked on the hands some more before work. Ended up redrawing them, the (our) right one is giving me issues shading wise. I might set up a lamp when i get home and it's dark for a better reference. Other concern is maybe it's clenched too tightly, i have long fingernails myself and i can't form a fist that tight without stabbing myself.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 06:56:18 am
heyy there, this is a really good start. Nothing much seems too off to me with the anatomy, the neck looks solid, and the new hands are definitely an improvement. The only thing I can see is it feels a bit "tame". Like a bodybuilder in a demon cosplay, as opposed to an actual demon. I played around with it a bit, and came up with some edits, most of which are more subjective than anything:

1: The bottom of the chest is usually closer to a full headlength down. Your higher chest is definitely within the realm of believability though, and could be a style/aesthetic thing.

2:  With some slight variation in contour, you can bring more hardness and definition into the musculature. Right now everything is a bit on the round side

3: I elongated him mostly for style. You could also go the other way, making him shorter and more impish like the concept art.
Both can work. With fantasy stuff I'm of the opinion it's better to push a little too far in the dynamic range than be safely in the average. Also includes various changes to the abs, mainly trying to give them a more interesting shape, and have the ribcage underneath feel more present.

4: Colored him just to get a better sense of the end result. The skin palette itself is a bit high in saturation and value. Could use more range.

5: Just having fun here. A heavier line art style might be interesting.

6: He was a little cold without pants.

Hope this is of some use to you! Glad to hear you're getting back into art after a long break.  ;D

also, here's the reference I was using as I made this edit. The gnarly, skinny muscular type seems to be fitting for this sort of thing:

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 06:12:20 am

Thank you for the feedback, it was super useful. As was the reference. He's much more lean then the ones i was working from. I was trying to keep some of the bulk of the original reference i was provided with. As for things being round... that's me... It's a habit of mine. I like things to be smooth, even at my own disadvantage at times.  :blind:

Spent a bunch of time today working on this update. I was told the horns are like a tooth upsidedown. Which i assume makes them rounded. But it looks super weird. Going to ask the client.

Did the feet without a reference, regretting life choices. Will probably update them next.

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Re: [WIP & C+C] Male Anatomy ~ Demon

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 02:01:28 am

Finally got on to the client and realised he meant teeth protruding from the top of the head. Not, upsidown tooth. As in the bottom (roots part) of a tooth which has a vastly different shape.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:40:50 am by heyy13 »

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 12:04:53 pm

Trying to do the tentacles.... They look awful. Going to scrap and start again, i shouldn't be dithering. It's a clash of styles to the rest of it. Not sure how on earth i'm going to shade this.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 04:01:59 am

before you get too concerned with muscles, make sure the bones of the drawing are solid. mostly as long as the pelvis and ribcage are in their proper place, everything else will work out. Once the bones are good, the layering of the muscles makes much more sense, and the drawing will have more weight to it.

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 12:08:11 pm

before you get too concerned with muscles, make sure the bones of the drawing are solid. mostly as long as the pelvis and ribcage are in their proper place, everything else will work out. Once the bones are good, the layering of the muscles makes much more sense, and the drawing will have more weight to it.

Thanks, i really should change the name of this thread. I'm past the anatomy point at this moment. But thankyou for the feedback. :)

Should have another WIP up tomorrow or the day after. Depends how these tentacles go.

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Re: [WIP & C+C] Demon

Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 08:32:16 am

Tentaclessss... *sigh* x__x

EDIT: Update. If noone has any advice/feedback i might just call it provided the client is happy. I have done way too much work on this.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:41:54 am by heyy13 »