AuthorTopic: First Project  (Read 1555 times)

Offline ArcticPhreeze

• View Profile

First Project

on: August 03, 2016, 03:53:52 am
As I stated in my first thread, I'm a newbie to professional or 'beyond amateur' level pixel art, but was unsure of where to start. I followed suggestions in that thread to start small, and liked what I came up with.

I realized that I need an Avatar for the boards so I figured, why not start there?

So here is a pretty simple ice-esque object (to fit my handle, of course) that is essentially just an upgraded form of some pretty typical shapes and forms.

I am quite happy with how it turned out, but it doesn't look quite as smooth as I'd like when it's at about 200% zoomed out or so. I think the colors might be a little too similar or at least, the highlights.

Tear it apart, please.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: First Project

Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 05:42:49 am
Hey there, welcome to the forums!

Great start here! Ice is a quite complex subject. the environment it is in will influence it greatly. In the shadows, you often can see through to the other side due to it's transparency.

You're right in assuming it needed more contrast, and some specular highlights to really make it pop.

If it's going to be an avatar, shoot for the stars. I recommend giving it an environment for context. Have fun with it! I might have gone a bit far. Enjoy  :crazy:

Offline ArcticPhreeze

• View Profile

Re: First Project

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 04:12:16 pm
Wow, that's... wow xD Good job!

I'll make an environment my number one priority, and then create a new pallet to reflect it. I especially liked how you shaped yours to vaguely resemble a head and I might just steal that idea from you...