AuthorTopic: Mind giving me some critiques? :)  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Clarafang12

• View Profile
    • Fiverr Shop

Mind giving me some critiques? :)

on: August 03, 2016, 01:30:19 am
Hello!

I'm started doing pixel art 2 weeks ago, usually I draw regular, non pixel drawing. I noticed that my pixel art looks rather different than usual one I see on the internet. Somehow, they have a more 'game' feel to it. Here's what I made:

Drop me some critiques if you have some. I'd love to learn more!

Thanks,
Clara
I make bad puns.

Offline Danielclarc

• Pixels, right?
    • clarcosa
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/48008.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Mind giving me some critiques? :)

Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 02:10:30 am
Hi, First of all I'd like to say that the concept is not bad at all ^^

Secondly, one mistake that I've comitted when asking for feedback here was posting the pieces on a non 1:1 scale. The forum has a tool for zooming so it's better to use the original size (this helps when people try to edit your drawing and point their opinions) or at least the size it was intended to see.

Something that really helped me when I was beginning was when people told to work more with contrast. Try some hue-shifting on the color ramps aswell, might help too.
Bring it on!!

Offline Yuushia

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 07:46:46 am
I did the same mistake as you a while ago, but you use way too much colors. A limited palette help you to better define shading zone :) (and you don't have so much different so it shouldn't be too difficult to fix).

Edit : Well there is some compression on your pictures, that's why I see so much colors. I'll wait for an 1:1 scale ;)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:52:08 am
You either have too many colors, or your not adjusting the edges to make having a lot of colors work.
There's a technique called Subpixeling that's been used by many games (most notably the pixel-artistic masterwork series Metal Slug) as a way of squeezing more details and definition into limited spaces.
A guide for the concept can be found here, I recommend giving a go at applying the concepts to the pieces to see if those concepts can help those works.
http://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/give-your-sprites-depth-with-sub-pixel-animation/

Pokemon sprites also did this a bit, using limited palletes to shade the very outer edges of things slightly to give it an aliased look. It's kind of an extension on the methods in Subpixeling, and can be seen on this sprite of pokemon trainer Red as a way to smooth out the outlines featured in their particular art style:
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Clarafang12

• View Profile
    • Fiverr Shop

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 04:23:42 pm
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. Thanks a lot for the input. I'll try and work on the contrast! As for the color, I see your point. I made around 2 color to shade and sometimes I put my brush on multiply to get more color to shade with. I think I should try and work on smaller canvas size to get use to shade with minimum color. Also, thanks for the tutorial @mysterymeat! I'll check them out. Thanks again for all the input guys! Appreciate it :)
I make bad puns.

Offline Yuushia

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 03:12:56 pm
Indeed, the multiply setting with brush tool is not (at all) the best approach when coming to pixel art. Simplest shading needs only 3 colors : base, shadow and light (ofc you can have less, or more, but that's a more advanced process -imo-).

"Smaller" is not the right word, in fact you want to work with 1:1 scale (1 square on picture is 1 pixel). Other scale would lead you to a bunch of mistakes.

The base of your character is great, so if you work on this color problem, you should come up with something good pretty quickly :)