AuthorTopic: Help newbie to start pixel art  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Drew

• View Profile

Help newbie to start pixel art

on: August 02, 2016, 02:17:53 pm
Hey guys, i am just studying pixel art so please give me advices and tell me if something's not right

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:04:46 am by Drew »

Offline spO_oks

• View Profile

Re: Critique me

Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 04:50:22 pm
Hi, it would help to have a bit more context about what it is your drawing, I see they are faces, but are they just regular human faces or are they robot/cyborg faces?
Tell us what you were trying to achieve and where you think it's working/not working.  I would suggest starting with a smaller canvas though, these are pretty big faces and I think the same visual message of them currently could be conveyed with something about 8 times smaller.

Here is a similar sized example to highlight what you can fit in that size canvas

Offline Drew

• View Profile

Re: Critique me

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 10:02:59 am
Hi, it would help to have a bit more context about what it is your drawing, I see they are faces, but are they just regular human faces or are they robot/cyborg faces?
Tell us what you were trying to achieve and where you think it's working/not working.  I would suggest starting with a smaller canvas though, these are pretty big faces and I think the same visual message of them currently could be conveyed with something about 8 times smaller.

Here is a similar sized example to highlight what you can fit in that size canvas

Hi, thank you for your reply, but i am trying to make realistic human face and as you can see i am having problems with eyes and shading. I think there must be more than 2 colors, but i don't know how to do it.
I'll try to do with smaller canvas and i'll post outcome later.
Sorry for my bad english, i am from Russia(
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:35:08 am by Drew »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Help newbie to start pixel art

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:15:23 am
Skulls, my friend. Learn how to draw skulls, and the rest will come easy.
Look at a lot of reference pictures, keep drawing every detail you can in full detail until you got it memorized, then try drawing a face over it. The skin and muscles around our skull is very thin, apart from things like our lips, noses, and ears it's all pretty taut over the form of the skull, so it's necessary to really drill that underlying structure into your head.
Google image searches are your friend, work from reference wherever possible. Be sure you're looking at actual skulls and not a render too, sometimes the modelers can make mistakes.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |