AuthorTopic: Apologies + Element Pixel Art Practice  (Read 4394 times)

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/155410.htm
    • View Profile

Apologies + Element Pixel Art Practice

on: August 01, 2016, 03:44:40 pm
First of all, I would like to apologize for my attitude towards these who have helped me. I ignored some of the suggestions that you guys gave me, and that was a huge mistake. I'll stop doing that. If you guys give me any critique from now on, I'll completely follow them. Critique is really important for me, so please, give me a second chance.

small edit: changed some shadings

I've been practicing for many hours to do this list of element combinations, each element combinates with another. For example: Fire and Stone do Magma.

Please, forgive me and let me you know your opinion about this drawing, and how could I improve it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:06:27 pm by zoekmath »

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: Apologies + Element Pixel Art Practice

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 07:01:04 pm
The molten versions aren't looking right to me (I wouldn't have known what they are without context)
Increasing the contrast of the plant,wood and stone colors may help to make it better as well
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 07:22:26 pm
A couple quick notes:
If you edit your piece, consider posting the edited version along the originally posted. If we have a point of reference of what you changed we can get a better idea of where we could start helping you.

Secondly, don't feel forsaken if noone replies to a post. People are busy, and they invest their free time to help, as was already pointed out in the other thread. Go to sleep, and come back to your drawing a day or more later, look at it with a fresh view, and maybe you will recognize problems yourself.

Thirdly, right now it sounds very much like you're begging for replies and help. you're better than that. Your art, while still being rather novice, is far from bad. Right now it is difficult for me at least to give adive because you seem to be aware of the basic fundamentals and you try to implement them, but just not quite. Nothing that i'd personally could help you with but that you'd just have to overcome with practice.

Fourthly (sounds weird innit)
the icons are pretty cool. some of them are hard to read, and i wasnt able to identify them without checking their parents.
Try to work on visual clarity in that regard.

--edit--
Another important point:
I ignored some of the suggestions that you guys gave me, and that was a huge mistake. I'll stop doing that. If you guys give me any critique from now on, I'll completely follow them.
No, dont do that. never blindly follow critique. Read the critique, try to understand it. Why was it given, how does it change, improve or worsen your ideal picture. See if the critique qualifies to your criteria.
The laziest way out often is something along the lines of "thats just my style", without any consideration or even understanding of what that style even is or why it was deliberately chosen. People here don't like to hear that, so if you argue against a critique, put some thought into it. not just for the sake of the one giving critiques, but also for yourself to understand your own art better.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:32:49 pm by wzl »

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 07:54:05 pm
I think it needs more contrast overall, and some things lack readability (I thought smoke was a pile of ashes, I don't know what water+water is... for example)

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 08:45:03 pm

I've increased the overall level of contrast.

I don't see any hard to see icons, please, be specific about which are.
I'll keep in mind all that you said, wzl.

How should I improve the molten versions?
Thanks for your answers.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 08:50:54 pm
Molten metals tend to have a pretty intense glow to them, as seen below. I've also included some with better textures, always try to work from reference as much as you can!

PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 10:13:59 am

I tried adding a glow to the gold, does it look better now?

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 01:24:21 pm
Make comparisons of past and current iterations.
Not just for our benefit.
It's a super useful tool for guiding your progress and what to do next.

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 04:19:47 pm
I did that many times. It seems to be useful.
Thanks for the reply.

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 04:43:58 pm
I did some molten metal a while back. Not even sure if it is good but maybe you can use it for comparison.