AuthorTopic: Opening shot of plane scene from The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 4239 times)

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile
Hey guys,

Im drawing a shot from the movie The Dark Knight Rises. Here is my reference: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Wm7WwFTS-L4/maxresdefault.jpg

And here is my drawing:

Conzeit in the slack channel said I might not have enough contrast. I can see that, but I am not sure how to fix it. Just exaggerating the brightness on my five blues didnt look good. Also I feel like someone of my shading on the plane is too patchy.

What do you think?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Opening shot of plane scene from The Dark Knight Rises

Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 03:28:25 am
Lots of banding going on, try to break that up some.
Guy on the left should be smaller and further back behind the plane instead of in the foreground
Try to darken everything a bit too, give it more saturation.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:04:24 am by MysteryMeat »
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 03:43:03 am
Thing that stands out most to me is the complete absence of shadows.

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 06:00:53 pm

Alright heres an update. More saturation on all colors, all colors have been darkened too. I shrunk the left military dude a bit and placed him 'higher' on the ground. I bet I could shrink him down a bit more even.

Ye, I need some shadows. Ill add those.

Re banding, I guess I see what you mean. Ill put some work into eliminating banding.

I know this is asking a lot, but would anyone be willing to do an edit on a piece of my drawing to eliminate my banding? I feel like banding is a big weakness of mine, and while I think I understand banding conceptually, Im not very good at avoiding it.

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 06:31:27 pm
Like I can see that the wing has some big banding problems.

So my solution is to deliberately break up the stacking pixels, and clearly defined shades of the wing

I can see how there is less banding, but, it doesnt add any sense of form to the wing. It just makes it noisy. I feel like to solve that problem I need to make regions bigger and better defined, which I think would just bring me back to my banding problem.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 07:57:13 am

Scaling is a big issue. I marked two areas in the pixel version and the ref where the scaling problem reveals itself the most. See how the guy in the back should not exceed the planes snout in height and how the one in front of the plane barely reaches past half the snouts height. The third area I marked contains invented detail which is not there in the ref, I think at that angle we see much less of the wing attaching to the trunk. It might be useful to check other references of that plane type to help with placement. The wing definitely should not attach that close to the hatch.

Also, it seems you made the whole bottom of the plane almost completely horizontal when it actually rises to the left much like the top does, so that the snout should be higher and hide more of that building in the far back.

If you are having difficulties freely eyeballing the ref and getting the scale right, I suggest just tracing over a shrunk photo to get it right before starting to render any detail, light or shadow.

For the contrast problem on the plane, I would start by shading the entire plane in the darkest blue first and then adding the light from the top, perhaps as just a 1px wide line along the contour. Maybe that would suffice to have those two different colors with minimal AA to replicate the effect at this low resolution and omitting the smooth transitions we see in the ref entirely (or just have one additional tint for that).

All that being said though, I think an even better approach for something like this would be to NOT try to replicate the ref closely like a pixel painting and instead pixel the scene and all objects in them in a PixelArt/Gamey representation with an eye level and camera angle(and parallel projection) which lends itself better to the low resolution (think classic "Street Fighter II Guile Stage") because more angles then can be aligned with more pixel art compatible line angles.

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 05:30:21 pm
Wow! Thanks a ton 0xDB! Ill keep all that in mind moving forward. Ill probably just scrap the wing entirely and start over.

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 09:21:49 pm

Here is where Im at now. Im not really happy with that face.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 12:46:32 am
focus on the shadows more than the actual features at this scale, that's usually what i do
EDIT: at this scale, I mean. when you have less than 16x pixels to work with it gets pretty difficult to squeeze it all in there, and I tend to stylize through that restriction that way. Focus on the browline and the dimples, think like a caricature artist and "exaggerate" the most notable features.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 01:19:17 am by MysteryMeat »
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 01:30:59 am
Thanks Mystery Meat, I had that in mind while making this edit: