AuthorTopic: Color Me Pink  (Read 8885 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Color Me Pink

Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 06:17:55 am
seeing that collage, thing that comes to mind for me is, finish your pieces more. I don't know if you're very set on the 'I like the sketch more than the finished piece' mentality, but as a viewer nearly every one of those looks unfinished (besides tree head, I <3 girl and a few others). If you want to get better you have to invest a lot of effort into finishing your pieces. Precise pixel placement of every pixel. If you show them to people half-done - and I've found that to be true in nearly any sort of art - they go into 'wip mode critique' where everything is 'hopeful' and 'new' and 'different' and 'relative'. This happens because you're admiting that there's space for change even in your head, and that everything could go and that in lacking of finalized thoughts on the matter you're very open and willing to hear stuff that most of the time is very bland and besides the point. Finish things, be brave enough to say 'this is EXACTLY where every pixel is supposed to be as far as I'm concerned. Hit me hard with your critique.' and give people something to go on.

I don't get why you say you're a jackass. If it's about not being kind to pju who 'didn't get it' then yeah, that's not the epitome of niceness, but it's no big deal if it's not part of some repeated elitistic mindset. I don't think you have that mindset.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 05:48:10 pm
Some people will give way more information than is required in a critique. While I don't want to say you're wasting your breath with this Helm, I would note that giving critique appropriate to the situation is ideal. I don't think going 'essay' on David is bad, though, since the spirit by which you post suggests that we could all be challenging ourselves much more than we often are. Even so, I think it's pixel art and I think its good to get a casual sketch out once in a while. Sometimes a polished piece is too comitted to an ideal when we may need to let our minds wander into new ideas.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 01:02:02 am
i don't really know david that much but i think he doesn't really care if he gets better, i think he just does it for fun or to  pass time and maybe isn't as serious as other ppl as far as getting a job in the game business?

anyways, whenever i see this stuff, it makes me wishes i could have the random thoughs, orginality, and creativity like the most of you
i don't really have any crits since that's already done >.>
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY