AuthorTopic: RPG Tileset  (Read 11586 times)

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

RPG Tileset

on: October 03, 2006, 10:06:47 pm
Alright, I'm doing the graphics for an RPG of mine, and I was doing these tiles... but I just wasn't too sure about them. I would really appreciate any and all criticism, or pointers on how to get this looking better. In particular, the palette. As a note, the character you see there was done by Adarias for this game. The tileset there uses 12 colors + 1 for transparency, however I think there are 2 similar shades of black in the character throwing off the color count of the mockup.

The tileset on it's own.

The tileset in use, and a lighter version for comparison.

I'm aware the dirt tile pattern is repetitive, and the tiles aren't quite set up right (missing corners). I would appreciate some input, or suggestions on how to get a more... realistic dirt tile. Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 11:32:48 pm by Q.K. »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: RPG Tileset

Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 10:44:22 pm
I like it, the obvious thing I noticed was, as you said, the palette.. I don't dislike it at all, it just seems to camoflauge the character. I'd just mess around with the Hue/Saturation/Contrast of it.. Also don't settle on a first idea, I'd advice you to keep working on different grass/dirt textures for your tiles you may stumble on something you like better than this. As you said you need help with the dirt, just keep practicing, you basically have the right idea anyway.  ;)

This may be irrelevant but I think it helps to see how it'd look if you were actually playing it, I use 'the games factory', it's a program used to make simple games like this, it's very basic so it's just a quick way to experiment with like graphics and testing out character movements. www.clickteam.com you can download it from their site under retired products in the download section. Also they've release the games factory 2  :). it's helping me with my platform tests, http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/4586/untitledpk5.png.. Though I've still got a lot to do  :-X

hope I helped.  :-\
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 11:05:14 pm
I think a problem here is I just can't tell what's going on, at all. Are those circle things bushes? If so I think you need to seperate them from the ground with a change of colour, perhaps make them a bit brighter. A I agree with Terley, the character blends way too much into it. I do think the pallette could use a bit more brighter adjustment, since the character is so dark.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 11:18:57 pm
i dont have much of a problem with the pallette either. maybe give the green a bluer tint and overall a little less contrast?
the dark edge you have around the tiles make the grass seem to be a plane, and makes the image look very flat. now that i think about it, if you took the dark edge off of all the tiles except the bottom 3, it would make the grass look more 3d. i also think the bush could be improved by not being mirrored.

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 11:21:47 pm

This is from SOM, but anyway, this gives you an idea of the contrast needed for grass tiles. Also, are you using 5 colors a tile?

Read this: http://www.zoggles.co.uk/asp/tutorials.asp?tut=3&page=11

Heres some of the highlights from the link:
Quote from: st0ven
I noticed a lot of isometric views of grass tiles, but this is going to be for overhead/ three quarters type view. Just one thing to say about grass tiles, it is a good idea NOT to try to smudge or blur your tile once you complete it on order to blend it. The only thing that tends to accomplish is to make your tile look less detailed than it did in the first place :) Of course this is assuming that you want to make SD3 type grass tiles. OK so lets start with our tile...we are going to reduce the color depth to 4bit color depth (16 colors) and choose three shades of greens. The first one should be rather dark, with a low intensity (mixing a little "grey" to the color). Also, we are going to make our green a little on the yellowish side, so that it looks more like an olive color than anything else. This will help give you the natural looking green that suits grass tiles well in my opinion. Also , when you choose your lighter shades of green, I tend to continually add a little more yellow in each time, so that the highlights of your grassblades are not neon or flourescent yellow...heh. Alright, here is a little preview of what my 'palette' looks like thus far.

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 11:32:23 pm

I tried making things lighter, though I'm not so sure if it looks as good now. It looks almost... faded? I mean, I agree, that was pretty dark. Maybe I'll take a stab at doing some different kinds of grass tiles (ala SD3).

I also made the bushes blue. Not too sure about that choice really, but it does make them stand out in any case. Well, I'm going to try a different approach with the grass tiles for a bit, but if you have anything to say about this palette change, I'd like to hear it. Thanks.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 11:44:03 pm
i like the blue bushes.  for the grass, try adding in some brown or yellow to make it look more natural and also to let the character come forward a bit, sorry i gave you such a hard-to-read sprite to work with.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 01:14:55 am
The grass looks too busy, taking away from the foreground character. The lighter grass, however, is an improvement.

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 01:39:02 am
Thanks, I'm going to try working on that to reduce the busyness of it. In the mean time. I did these next tiles very similar to the Seiken Densetsu tiles. These weren't rips... they were done from scratch with some reference in order to keep the feel of Seiken Densetsu. I just want to know, before I go on with things, do these look far too similar to Seiken Densetsu to the point where people would start calling them edits/rips? The game *will* be selling for a profit, and I don't want to bother/be bothered by Square-Enix. :P

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 01:40:58 am
do these look far too similar to Seiken Densetsu to the point where people would start calling them edits/rips?
Not at all. SD was just a reference.