AuthorTopic: GR#001 - Red Dragon - Dither  (Read 32774 times)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Re: [WIP] Red Dragon

Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 01:45:18 pm
I was working on an extensive edit for you when I realized, hey, most of my college applications are due in a week and this is not one of the required essays I still need to write. :ouch: So.... only a partial edit:

Besides the color edit, I tried to demonstrate proper dithering, or at least my understanding of it. Hope this helps some. :)

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 02:18:31 pm
What you display is uniform dithering, any other form is not necessarily improper. Which it isn't in this case.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #32 on: November 24, 2008, 06:35:30 pm
I was working on an extensive edit for you when I realized, hey, most of my college applications are due in a week and this is not one of the required essays I still need to write. :ouch: So.... only a partial edit:

Besides the color edit, I tried to demonstrate proper dithering, or at least my understanding of it. Hope this helps some. :)

Nice edit!

Helm: Also a nice edit, I see what your getting at.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to give the dragon that kind of cute/toylike look, while also making him look organic and alive, like a dragon you could put in your shirt pocket. I thought the purple helped give him a sort of sheen that would have come from an ambient lightsource and give him that almost realistic look but I agree it makes him too shiny.

While I like the clarity and polish of tehwexxl0rz edit, I'm trying to accomplish something in between his and helms edit.

What I'd really like to know is if I have properly addressed some of the banding issues I was having before.

More edits to come!

Edit: I also wanted to say that I think my palette needs a change, something is off in it, and I like where tehwexxl0rz was going with his, but I don't think I want it to be as dark in some areas. If anyone has any suggestions, maybe we can pull apart my ramps and talk about the theory behind the colors and where to go from then.

When I really think about it I think I stole some colors for this dragon from Larwicks snakebomb, its his current avatar. Thanks Lar!

At this point though, I think the palette needs to be adjusted to finalize this dragon, any ideas?

Edits won't be so often this week, I'm getting married on saturday and thanksgiving on thurs. We'll see though.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:38:30 pm by Dogmeat »
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: November 24, 2008, 09:17:45 pm
wex: Actually yours and arachnes philosophy about dithering go together, only your kind of dithering intersects and her kind mostly separates colour layers to avoid banding. Both have a system of separating the two diagonal dither meshes by one bright mesh and one dark, "uniform dithering" as trevorius worded it.  O:
I seem to remember the old days when peppermint pig and other people made a fuzz about what they called "interlaced dithering" .. ? Which is exactly what thewex did here, I think. Someone from the olden times care to refresh my memory on this?

I think the interlaced technique creates a nice scaly texture by its combining of dark and bright pixels next to each other. makes the scales seem glossy. Dogmeat, I second your desicion to try and find a good middle ground here, it might create appealing results! Good luck.
' _ '

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 08:44:56 pm
Wow I haven't worked on this in a while, first thing I did was grab wexx's pallette. I like it, but I'm thinking it needs to be desaturated just  a little. Worked on the arms/body/face/etc.. Only had an hour today to touch up some stuff. Also noticed in helms edit, he had a good point bout where the front foot is, so I moved it to make more sense. I'll work on this more when I get home from work, all I had was lunch :)

Also, when posting this, I am noticing the lighting is a little hard on that front shoulder/arm/leg, I was trying to imagine the light hitting the muscles, but not hitting whats around the curvature of the muscles, you tell me.

Great to be working on this again. Thanks to everyone who's given great C&C

Real quicky edit based on what I just said:

&

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:10:33 pm by Dogmeat »
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama