AuthorTopic: Huge Swords and Tentacle Monsters  (Read 12660 times)

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

Re: Huge Swords and Tentacle Monsters

Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 02:37:15 pm
Wow I'm absolutely terrible at keeping stuff updated.

~Snipsnipsnip super long but very helpful comment~
Hehe, yeah, I meant the boss  :P

To respond to your player ideas though, I like them a lot, but I feel like they're a bit too complicated or unfitting with the atmosphere/story sometimes, especially for the demo.
I'm keeping the sword super simple on purpose, because that makes it very easy to understand, yet there are some small subtle rules which can make the difference between taking no damage and a ton of damage, such as being able to jump higher when swinging your sword down whilst jumping.
Blocking is already a part of the game, but not a very big one. It can indeed block certain bullets, but not a lot and it costs energy.
I might add upgrades to your sword and maybe some extra usable items and/or gear to convey that "you're hunting" feeling a bit more(think of things like traps, lures etc.), but that's a thing for later.

In the end I managed to come up with a few additions to the bossfight which made it a bit more interesting. I love your ideas though, and I might use them for future fights with her(she's planned to be a reoccuring boss). For now I just gave her two giant swords  :P

Update:
I'm not using the tig update counter anymore, because that makes no sense anymore :').

Anyway, in the time I didn't place anything here, we've been adding a ton of stuff, so I'm just gonna post all the gifs+explanation in spoiler tags, so your computer won't be mad at me:
In chronological order:

The updated prophet fight, I've improved it a bit more already

A fully working menu(except for control reconfiguration) with a title made by a fan

First slight implementation of the actual tiles  :lol:

Implementation of parallax scrolling and more work on the world map

Updated laser effect

Subway station

Implementation of birbs

So yeah, a ton of stuff has been done, including polish, optimizing and bugfixing.
The work left to do for the demo keeps getting less and less :D

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 02:36:39 pm
Update:

Retiling the map to make it less of a mess

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 06:16:05 pm
I like all of this.
Coming along nicely! Can't wait to see more. ^^
* may contain misinformation

Offline Sovryn

• pixelangell
    • YoHeyWhaddup
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 06:30:28 pm
I can't wait to play it  :lol:

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 05:18:40 am
Looking pretty good, but it looks like there's some seam issues along the edges of the tiles when the camera moves. Sorta like z-fighting, I'm not sure what's going on there but it's making me a bit dizzy!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 07:20:47 pm
I like all of this.
Coming along nicely! Can't wait to see more. ^^
I can't wait to play it  :lol:
Glad you like it <3 A Demo is being planned around the end of this year, maybe one or two weeks in.

Looking pretty good, but it looks like there's some seam issues along the edges of the tiles when the camera moves. Sorta like z-fighting, I'm not sure what's going on there but it's making me a bit dizzy!
Thanks! hmm, I personally don't notice it that much and wouldn't know what the problem could be, but I'll look into it further and see if other people have the same issues!

Since most of the core is p much done for the demo, I'm returning to old stuff I didn't like before, so the first thing I did was redoing the demo boss. It has more defined patterns now, isn't super bugged and is actually kinda fun imo(although I'll just have to wait and see what other people think  :P)

Offline DieMango

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 03:48:21 pm
The camera is a little to hectic and the tiles are to detailed that my brain hurts after a while

(didt test it yet just commenteing on the gifs...amybe the problem is less active when you play it)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 04:08:42 pm
Agreed with DieMango. The most recent three gifs make me dizzy. I'd keep the camera focused on the player character, so that they're generally in the same position at all times. Bosses should be positioned and designed in a way that they read well and look good without having to move the camera off the player.

The tiles in the most recent gif look great, but the high-contrast bricks in the two gifs before that hurt my eyes when they move. I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad at in-game framerates, but I think reducing the contrast would help in any case. The bricks don't seem important enough to warrant so much contrast.

I think the white motion trails are a bit much, they stand out more than the actual moving elements do, making it hard to quickly gauge their positions. I think using a lower-contrast colour, perhaps one of the oranges from the background, would help a lot. It could also look good to fade out the older after-images.

Aside from these things though, this looks pretty and fun! I'm usually not a fan of auto-rotated pixel art, but it works very well with the flat, blocky designs in this game. Even the tentacle creature from the earlier posts looks good despite the rotations. The sword boss looks really fun too, and the sword-wave gives me Sans vibes 8]