AuthorTopic: Nomad  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Nomad

on: July 17, 2016, 04:19:46 pm
Hi all,

Had some free time, so I thought I'd do some pixeling.

Working on an old character of mine, which I pixeled in 2011 or so.

Hopefully conveyed his roundness better, though I'm not sure about the arms in his pockets. Any ideas on how to improve would be appreciated.

His character is a nomad/merchant.

Original - 2011 version

Pre-new arms

Most recent
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 04:21:26 pm by Quake »

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/155410.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Nomad

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 06:08:55 pm
I don't know if it's intended, but the body isn't vertical. The hands on the pockets doesn't seem like a good idea because it just looks like if they ended there.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 10:04:42 pm
As quick an edit as I can possibly make, I'm being rushed to play rocket league.

I saw this the first time round, thought I'd take some time to post.
Major things I want to point out with the latest iteration as quickly as possible. The character looks like he's going to topple over backwards. Lighting is all over the place, it might be worth reading a bit into light theory. Anatomically its still a bit odd compared even to the old one. Clothing doesn't seem separate to the person, they look like one entity, things like having clothing hanging or blowing in the wind can go a long way in make this read as more believable. The shadow on the chest makes no sense?

Hope that helps a bit, will clean up this post tomorrow.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 10:34:13 pm
I don't know if it's intended, but the body isn't vertical. The hands on the pockets doesn't seem like a good idea because it just looks like if they ended there.

Thank you :) I wasn't sure on the pockets so I'll change them.

As quick an edit as I can possibly make, I'm being rushed to play rocket league.

I saw this the first time round, thought I'd take some time to post.
Major things I want to point out with the latest iteration as quickly as possible. The character looks like he's going to topple over backwards. Lighting is all over the place, it might be worth reading a bit into light theory. Anatomically its still a bit odd compared even to the old one. Clothing doesn't seem separate to the person, they look like one entity, things like having clothing hanging or blowing in the wind can go a long way in make this read as more believable. The shadow on the chest makes no sense?

Hope that helps a bit, will clean up this post tomorrow.

Hey man. I remembered your name. I recall you had a pirate avatar?

Yeah, those comments are definitely valid. The 'body-clutching' clothes is something I was contemplating not to do. Will definitely change it.

Awesome edit man. A lot simpler, but the core blocks of colours/lighting are there. Will study and make amends.

Enjoy Rocket League.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 08:31:21 pm
Ok so, I've tried to incorporate parts of your edit, Jim, as well as making it potentially more' nomad-like' and less like a youth haha.

The stick is provisional. There for reference.

let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:01:47 pm by Quake »

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/155410.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 10:40:36 am
It looks so much better, but I'd move his right eye a pixel to the center.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 12:16:03 pm
There is still a lot that you can improve. Right now though it might be a good idea to break this down into smaller, more manageable sections and just focus on getting those sections looking right.

For example, I'd just focus on the head. Right now anatomically if you stripped away the clothing, I don't know if you could realistically fit a mouth and chin on that face, and I have to ask myself if the forehead is large enough. I know its all relative, because you're not necessarily going for realism, the big eyes being the biggest example,  but it won't hurt looking at references of faces to give yourself a rough idea of better proportions.

Also try and work on creating better lines and shapes. The hoodie part of the jacket has a very jagged look to it because your lines are all over the place. Try and clean it up and make sense of how the hoodie would actually sit and hang on the face, because right now, on the characters right side of the face you can see more skin than the other side. Its just those little things that if you clean up would be easier for us to look at as consumers.

Lighting and shading is still a big issue, its not somethings I spent much time on to fix in my edit last time, for example the chest looks blotchy, because the transition from light to dark isn't smooth enough and that's evident all over. Also small things like shadow on top of the head? Right now with the latest version I noticed that you actually lost some contrast that you had previously had, so it might be worth messing about with the colours a bit more.

I struggle to convey critique, so I might create an edit later after you've done another pass on this character.
Hope that helps.