AuthorTopic: [WIP] Nightmare Creature  (Read 5097 times)

Offline Danielclarc

• Pixels, right?
    • clarcosa
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/48008.htm
    • View Profile

[WIP] Nightmare Creature

on: July 16, 2016, 10:44:42 pm
Hi, It's me again  :P

I am working on a personal concept of a "nightmarish" creature. Recently I found out that something that really disturbs me is human-ish features on things. Creatures that are meant to be evil or scary often are depicted with sharp teeth, claws, red eyes, etc. But for me, when monsters have human-like teeth, hands or eyes it's much worse (I remember seeing something like that on Extra Credits's video about uncanny valley).

Well, the idea is a blind beast with this big mouth full of round-squared teeth (pretty much like human teeth). The colors are not definitive and he isn't that polished yet. I've thinked of many more interesting poses, but I decided to try an animated idle stance (something like like him breathing and sniffin' the air) after I finish the design so I've made him on a very simple pose

Behold!...

My main concerns right now are the shading and mouth's position, angle and teeth. The anatomy is kinda messed up too.
Bring it on!!

Offline Zia

• Pixel herding is hard work.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Nightmare Creature

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 04:38:07 am
The light source seems pretty inconsistent. I think it would be helpful for you to pick a specific spot, probably upper right corner would work best here, and then shade according to that.

Additionally, the AA on the outside seems a little pointless here. It just makes it look a bit messy, especially since it's so much darker.

For the anatomy, consider putting the shoulder a bit further back from the head? Or having the mouth be a bit further out.

I really like the front hands, though. I love how you've really got the gorilla knuckle-stance down. A little more contrast might be good if it's meant to be seen at 1x, but it looks fantastic at 2x zoom.
Eriophora Zia

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 08:58:42 am
a solid design. not scary, per se, but predatory enough to make someone go "oh geeze" if it was chasing them.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Danielclarc

• Pixels, right?
    • clarcosa
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 04:15:46 pm
Thank you guys

analyzed the anatomy for a while and realized that it made no sense, at all. there was no way that the arm could connect with the rest of the body.

fixed the light source, there was some very weird inconsistences
did some subtle changes on the pallete, but I still think that the colors are not definitive yet
Bring it on!!

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 10:29:12 pm
When it comes to monster design you can get away with the anatomy not making a lot of sense, usually. If anything, it can add to that aura of "This ain't right," lotta more eldritch monsters play with that a lot.

Offline Zia

• Pixel herding is hard work.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 05:25:00 am
What if you just... exaggerated everything a bit? Also, the lighting and anatomy look WAY better!

Eriophora Zia

Offline Danielclarc

• Pixels, right?
    • clarcosa
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 07:39:38 pm

I know I shouldn't worry that much about anatomy of some monsters. I don't know why, but I like to make this creature more believable. But I have to admit that I like to go crazy sometimes :P

The prolongated neck really looks great, I noticed that the shading was a little strange on the arm, so I've fixed them both.

I've changed a bunch of other things like teeth and mouth.

Also I've made a variation with larger teeth, which I've found to be... very disturbing

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:44:48 pm by Danielclarc »
Bring it on!!

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 06:37:41 am
hello great design !!
This stance remains me a gorilla so this creature has hand instead of feet ; should tell us it can use it, but how ?
i can't figure how it can use arms with current anatomy

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 08:30:13 am
that feels like one of those "wrong in the right ways" things, the hands. gives him a bestial vibe since we usually associate pronounced hunches and knuckledragging with gorrillas. pair that with that just-slightly-too-human grin and the poison frog color palette and it all boils down to something that feels distinctly alien and unsettling.
I'm VERY into monster design, but i'm armchair tier at it so take this all with a grain of salt.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 11:53:22 am
I really like your original drawing and the anatomy fixes you made. The "proper" anatomy helps the animal in my eyes but that's just my opinion. Cool additional designs too. The long neck and mouth is freaky.