AuthorTopic: Duel Toys 2 Mock Ups  (Read 9656 times)

Offline diefox

• View Profile

Duel Toys 2 Mock Ups

on: October 03, 2006, 02:26:10 am
Well, here it is, DT2 first set Mock-ups.

I´m not sure about characters line up yet, but the ones featured on those mock-up are almost sure to be on the game. The gameplay on last game was like SF series, SFZ series to be exact. In DT2 the play mode is going to be totally Marvel VS capcomnish plus a lot of more stuff. The RPG mode is going to be more fluent, not as stiff as it was on last game, not sure if it will stay isometric though.

Even though those pictures are all mock-ups, the actual game engine is not that different from what you see, righ now im focusing on programming the new system (tags, counters, new common attacks and stuff like that), and only Charlie and Ingrid are playable characters and there´s no AI yet. And I still have many doubts about how  the VS series gameplay works, what to do and what not to do. When the fighting system becomes totally functional ill start making the characters, converting the old ones, converting all the old stages to a High-jump enviroment and stuff like that.

Well, I´ll explain now each of the mocks you see.

1. Cammy fighting against an idle Donovan, you can se by the angle that she´ll miss... The Background is Chun-lis stage from SFA

2. Storm doing a Super Special on poor Iori (he deserves!)

3. Megaman (from Battle Network) shooting against Zangief, who doesn´t seem to care about blocking.

4. Vega finishing Scorpion with a Super Special, wich will probably be like Cammy´s and Spider´s special attack on the versus series.

5. Ingrid doing a Star Guard (parrying) on Sol Badguy, Cammy Stage from SFZ3

6. Kun Lao hat trhowing at Wolverine, The Pit stage from MK3

7. Player selecting their players at Team arcade mode, works just like KOF. Cammy and Monica(my Original Character) has been chosen and Morrigan is selected, then the player chooses from 3 different play modes: Star, Thunder and Sphere.

8.and this is a screen shot from the actual game itself, no BG for I have not converted any yet.

BTW, I havent make up my mind about all the other characters to be on DT2, hope you can give me some ideas about it ^^

Offline Sqorgar

• View Profile

Re: Duel Toys 2 Mock Ups

Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 02:46:27 am

Here's the critiques you are likely to get: They won't like the gradiants in the first background. In the Mega Man background, the trees and floor are obviously dithered. The swirly background isn't pixel art, and WTF is up with the textured building roof? Also, the sprites aren't shaded. YOU MUST HAVE SHADING!!! THEY WILL KILL YOU IF YOU DON'T HAVE SHADING!!

As someone who uses gradiants and dithered noise to give texture to my own work, as well as my own dislike of shading, that's not the critique I'll give you. Plus, I really like the Storm sprite. The zigzag in the hair is what does it. The textured roof does look pretty bad though - just use the noise effect you used for the forrest rather than a full on texture. Use it across the entire background though, because it will look strange when parts are and parts aren't. Just copy the layer, apply a medium noise to it, and set it's translucency to about 10%.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 03:13:21 am
I don't like the gradiants (sic) in the first background. In the Mega Man background, the trees and floor are obviously dithered. The swirly background isn't pixel art, and WTF is up with the textured building roof? Also, the sprites aren't shaded. YOU MUST HAVE SHADING!!! I WILL KILL YOU IF YOU DON'T HAVE SHADING!!

Seriously though, anything in these pics that you did with a gradient or photoshop noise/texture filter, needs to go.  There is probably a fast, relatively easy way to achieve a similar effect using simple pixels that will be cleaner and easier to read for your audience.  Gradients are almost never an accurate way of portraying light or volume, and they're USUALLY used where no gradient at all was necessary, nor any lighting period.

That said, I am 100% charmed by your Zangief sprite, he's hilarious!  Keep at it, and stay away from that automated photoshop stuff - it's just wasting your time ;)

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 03:30:46 am
You don't have to have shading, but if you want your sprites to look interesting, I suggest implementing it. That is, of course, unless you're going for low color count.

The sprites remind me of the Neo Geo Pocket game SNK vs CAPCOM: Match of the Millenium ( http://www.mobygames.com/game/neo-geo-pocket-color/snk-vs-capcom-match-of-the-millennium/screenshots ). The game has very simple sprites, but hey, the color restriction on the NGPC is pretty harsh.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 03:36:02 am by Monsoon2D »

Offline diefox

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 04:12:52 pm
KILL ME THEN im not going to shade those characters XDDD. serious, im not that good a pixel artist, keeping them simple helps me concentrate on animation and more and more characters, and i want to make them NGPC style.

the whole idea of this game was to make it simple, but it became bigger and this came out:
http://paginas.terra.com.br/lazer/fanzic/dt/index.htm
(go to dowloads to get the game)

and ill keep an eye on the backgrounds, i might repaint them all, without using dithering because im not that much a fan of it, ok... i dont have patience for that... thats the reason.

the first background was the first BG I made for DT1, thats why its so crappy, and I kind of took SFA from Game Boy as a reference.

but thanks so very much for the help! Ill try my best to improve all BG.

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 06:56:08 pm
I think if you did the backgrounds using just a few colours, maybe outlines but very desaturated you could get something that matches the flat look of the characters.  I'd actually suggest doing something similar to the characters but with no outlines at all.  For the characters the shadingless style is fine as long as you keyframe really well.  It just puts a lot more emphasis on getting the animations perfect or else creating visual confusion.

Offline diefox

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 07:11:39 pm
you should really get the first version of duel toys, so you can see how it works, especially the animations.
just google for "duel toys"

BTW, THANKS YOU very much for ALL your CNC, its so great that you didn't bitch me around like someone did when I posted this SAME topic at PixelJoint forum. ^^
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:28:44 am by diefox »

Offline diefox

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 02:31:00 am

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 09:38:54 pm
BTW, THANKS YOU very much for ALL your CNC, its so great that you didn't bitch me around like someone did when I posted this SAME topic at PixelJoint forum. ^^

Seriously, there was absolutely no need for that.

Offline diefox

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 01:49:12 am
yes, there is.

BTW, i have the right to be mad for what have been done to me, at least respect that.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 03:24:55 am by diefox »