AuthorTopic: Help with wind blowing animation- hair and clothing?  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Killindarlings

• View Profile
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted here, mostly I've been working on my own trying to produce a style I can be happy with. Recently I've been working on animation to go along with my sprites so I wanted to try out some wind blowing type stuff with hair and clothing. This is what I came up with-

I was happy with it for a while, but now I think there's something off about the timing. The way her ponytail flips at the same time as her clothing doesn't seem natural... maybe there needs to be a delay? And the whole thing is only 6 frames. I wanted to know if that makes the animation noticeably less smooth? It's hard for me to judge. If anyone has some experience with wind type animation I would appreciate your input.

I'm also posting this to tell people about a new game currently up on Kickstarter called Prey for the Gods. If you're a fan of Shadow of the Colossus (or just challenging, atmospheric games in general) you should go check them out. The sprite I posted is fan art of the protagonist. Here's a link- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/802508750/prey-for-the-gods

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Help with wind blowing animation- hair and clothing?

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 11:12:27 pm
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19927.0

I tried pretty much the same thing at this topic, and a lot of the stuff they went through there ought to be super helpful in terms of visuals, examples, and info.

However, before you start, I'd recommend cleaning up the base sprite a bit.  You have a couple of extra colors that don't really need to be there, and the torso looks a bit cluttered with the belts.

Offline Killindarlings

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 01:09:56 am
Thanks for the link- that was very helpful. And the torso is a bit cluttered, huh? I was having a hard time trying to illustrate that Assassin's Creed type thing on her waist (It's like some kind of leather corset).

Not sure what you mean by extra colors, can you describe which ones?

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 08:09:14 pm
Thanks for the link- that was very helpful. And the torso is a bit cluttered, huh? I was having a hard time trying to illustrate that Assassin's Creed type thing on her waist (It's like some kind of leather corset).

Not sure what you mean by extra colors, can you describe which ones?

The corset and the belts kind of blend together and you lose a bit of what it's supposed to actually be. I'd say simplify it to make it less cluttered.

The face has three different colors on it when it really only needs two, and it could even be done with one. The shades on the shirt and pants and all also could use a bit more contrast.