AuthorTopic: Bg for website.  (Read 6216 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Bg for website.

Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 05:32:10 pm
There is another thread here that covers "unification", I will see if I can find it.  In the meantime, I think what Adarias and Helm are pointing out is the fact that there are basically 0 shared colors between the different layers and buildings.  The bar thing in front is 100% distinct from the green building, which is totally distinct from the blue, etc.  I agree with them that it would be nice for the buildings to still stand out, but to also share SOME colors so it looks like they all exist in the same city!  E.g. Have a blue building, and a green building, but have their shadows be the same color, or something along those lines.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 01:26:53 am
 Thanks! Now I see the idea.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 01:37:57 am
Adam nailed the palette, which is cool, saves me some explaining, thanks man   :y:

the other things i mentioned are basically that you should correct the perspective and unify the shading.  Your building in front is shaded nothing like the buildings behind it, they should share a light source (this will help also in letting you share colors in many cases).  You need to pick a method of describing the forms and stick to it, and also make it believable.  for instance, that building that is quite dark between the two blue/gray buildings, there is absolutely no reason for it to be in shadow.  none at all.  if it isnt in shadow, and is actually just a dark building, i think you need some better way of describing this, at least by lightening the front plane like the 3 buildings around it.  As far as correcting the perspective, the bulding in front is shown at a completely different angle when compared to the rest of the buildings, which are in a bizarre orthogonal distorted view as it is.  Drop down a vanishing point or two would be best i think, since you have enough shades to AA the lines, but you could also just do the entire thing where lines on the z axis are displayed as (-45 o) the way you have in the back.  regardless, the front building needs to be completely redrawn so that it fits, otherwise you break the percieved geometries and this is very bad unless you are doing in on purpose.

hope that helps explain things
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 12:23:00 pm
 Thanks.