AuthorTopic: House/yard & path/building  (Read 4627 times)

Offline jmaslaki

• View Profile

House/yard & path/building

on: July 09, 2016, 06:58:09 am
I was aiming for an Earthbound/Undertale look. I know it's bad. I'm here for advice/help

(ignore white background)

larger version of 2nd pic: http://i.imgur.com/TlZEvI1.png

If anyone has any tips that would help improve it and make it look better, I would gladly take it. You can edit them to help show what can be better, but don't edit the one in the hyperlink because I scaled it
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 08:30:06 am by jmaslaki »

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Re: House/yard & path/building

Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 08:07:57 am
Looking at the screenshots, it appears that Earthbound is using a mix of Cabinet Projection and Parallel Projection (I hope those diagrams help to empower you to re-construct an Earthbound-like perspective more easily) while your second shot appears to show only a plain top view of the road(granted with a slight indication of volume at the sidewalks front plane) and a plain front view of the house which is inconsistent.

This board has a zoom feature (click on an image to zoom in in integral steps, shift-click to zoom out, alt-click to reset) so you don't need to upload scaled versions.

Offline jmaslaki

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 08:33:13 am
Thanks for your input. That whole thread actually looks very useful

Regarding the second pic, other than perspective, anything I could improve on to make it more acceptable?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 08:35:02 am by jmaslaki »

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 08:48:19 am
That whole thread actually looks very useful
That was the plan. ;D

Regarding the second pic, other than perspective, anything I could improve on to make it more acceptable?
Of course but you asked to ignore the white background, heh. So to make it feel more alive... add grass, some details, e.g.: flowers, patches of long grass, trees, birds, small rocks, sewer cover, mailbox, picket fence, bushes, little indications of texture on the otherwise flat surfaces, some minimalist cel-shading maybe. Just keep looking at the Earthbound screenshots and get inspired.

Offline jmaslaki

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 09:19:04 am
Thanks! I will do that :)

Offline jmaslaki

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 11:39:11 am
Is it an okay start?

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 11:53:13 am
It looks like you are trying to guess/estimate where things end up in the projection without actually drawing the projection lines. Give me some time, I'll make an edit explaining it...

Offline jmaslaki

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 02:04:41 pm
My bad. And alright, thanks, will be looking to it.

I kinda got ahead of myself there

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 02:54:59 pm
Ok, this took longer to make than I expected but here we go.

First I derived a side view of a few selected planes from your guesswork version and then continued to derive the corresponding floor plan for the cabinet projection from that. As you can see (though, you can even see that without going through all this trouble :crazy:) the front of the building foundation aligns with the front of the house box while in the back, the foundation extends beyond the house box.

If you would continue this reverse derivation for other planes, you would find that your roof does not fully cover the house box (while in the front it appears to overlap a bit, in the rear it would not extend long enough to hang over the rear wall probably would not even reach it).

Anyway, below I'm illustrating an "easy" (still requires thinking) way to do that kind of projection/construction on the basis of a floor plan and an elevation plan (which are easier to do for most people than to jump right into winging it all in imaginary 3D space).

Offline jmaslaki

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 01:07:13 am
I appreciate that you took the time just to help me, thank you so much. And I apologize if I screwed up again, but here's what I did:
I followed the steps to make an "easy" cabinet view and here's what I got:

Erroneous vs new attempt: