AuthorTopic: General Discussion: How do you work? - Now with added Challenge!  (Read 10559 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: General Discussion: How do you work?

Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 07:13:32 pm
I usually have the tv on mute on some random channel or one of the gamecube game intros, talib kweli playing on the computer
I suppose I do most work at night though
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 07:35:31 pm
-rock music
- on my bed, or in my art room with sketches ive done for the certain project sprawled out
-usually lights on
- depending on the project, i might show lots of progress to people or keep it hidden.

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 07:36:22 pm
I absolutely need to listen to music, I can't do art without that ^^ I also prefer when it's dark, with only my desk lamp on.

Heh, wouldn't it be nice if everyone captured their screen for a whole piece to see how their workflow is? Maybe have a special topic for the picture to see how everyone approaches it differently ^^
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 10:27:39 pm
Or post it here. 

It would give people an insight on how you work on a project.  I just thought whilst many pixels are shared on this forum it would be cool to share methods/conditions.

Edit:  Being the topic starter i think i should start it (unless a mod feels it should have its own thread in the activities section)

Topic :  64x64 sprite in fighting pose - i dont think this is too strenuous.  Don't get too caught up in making it perfect, its more about the way you work and not about the end product.

you must show at least 5 stages, pictures of your surroundings/desktop/applications would be a bonus!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 10:31:59 pm by Feron »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Re: General Discussion: How do you work? - Now with added Challenge!

Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 11:19:06 pm
  Man, i'd love to sit with my legs crossed, but my chair is just far too small and uncomfortable (also completely wrong type of chair/place). Currently i lay my legs above my printer, and it's incredibly uncomfortable - my chair is rather cheap and tacky aswel.
  I usually work best later in the day. But mostly when i have a seriously awesome idea and am inspired. I'm geared up when i've been chatting with my pixel buddies, and looking around pixelation and PJ (as long as i'm not caught up with moderative proceedings). A cup of tea is a must. If i have a warm cup of tea on my desk readied for my hands, i can pixel to my hearts content. I'll probably also have a random mug of water around, and loads of random empty cups and mugs littered around. Lots of litter - i think it actually helps my creative juices flow. If everything is clinically clean i think my inspiration gets frozen up.
  I'm diabetic, so if i haven't done my injection on time i get all uncomfortable and sweaty, needing the loo alot, which really doesn't help when i wanna pixel. Of course, it doesn't happen too often though.
  I think i'll generally lock myself in the dining room (yeah, that's where the comp is) and try and get some peace and quiet (from my family and the outside world). Music-wise, i'll either listen to nothing or the bands i like - alternative rock music. Really depends what mood i'm in though, or what i'm pixelling. When animating, i think i begin to skip the slow songs and listen to more upbeat or energetic styles. Gets the adrenaline flowing. Lol. Listening to podcasts sounds nice though, i might try that oneday.
  My screen is filled with MSN chats, my media player, AOL, MSPaint and Animationshop3, most of the time. When on the IRC i do get quite flustered because i have to keep checking back to get the infos - and so it gets in the way of my pixelling. Although it does have many upsides, such as the great CnC etc..

And i can never pixel anywhere but my own computer.  :y:

Man, i wrote alot more than i meant to.  :-X
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:23:53 pm by Larwick »

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 11:27:42 pm
You're lucky to have pixel friends Larwick, I work much better with people to talk to- but no one uses YIM. :'( Nothing else works.

I work to my most jamming tunes, tablet and graphicsgale on hand.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 09:09:41 am
Music is optional, for me.

What I really need is severe social trauma, so I can use art as an outlet, OR a reason to pixel other than simple "practice"

I sit on my hard, wooden chair in what I'd assume would be a "normal" position, with my tablet in my lap, and just go.

...I really should pixel more. TO THE PALETTE CHALLENGE!

Oh yeah. Music is anythin from John Legend to Weezer to Rammstein, with bits and pieces of even randomer things in-between.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 03:15:07 pm
Perferably, no music, television is fine, but aslong as I'm not watching and a mug of coffee never hurt anyone.  ;)
I can't stand even watching television in the dark, so I like a well lit area.. and sometimes I rest my legs on my computer box, but otherwise i sit normally..

Big Office Chair. Yeah...

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 06:35:35 am
I usually stare at the monitor with my jaw open for several hours totally oblivious to anything around me, including danger. I will most likely listen to music, a movie and have my trusty glass vase with opening in base at my side. Food is a must, stretching is a must.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 10:15:12 pm
music, msn open, paint open all the time so i can scribble something if i need to. firefox open too. maybe irc. when i work its just continuing from a scribble normally. sometimes i'll move from paint to something better if i like where a piece is going.
thanks Dogmeat!