AuthorTopic: [WIP] PJ's weekly challenge  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Fluttershaft

• View Profile

[WIP] PJ's weekly challenge

on: July 06, 2016, 09:39:49 am
Design a sprite of an original character, then create at least two alternate colour schemes or outfits for that character.

32x32 limit for each sprite. Before I make more I want to make sure the proportions and animation are right, etc.

Left one is base character.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:00:56 am by Fluttershaft »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [WIP] PJ's weekly challenge

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:48:19 pm
it feels like her hair is throbbing, most notably. I think you need to try redrawing it, the arm seems to grow from the forearm to elbow, and her wrist looks more than a bit off with the gun pointed like that.
The legs are also very short compared to the torso, which is emphasized by the striped M.C. Hammer pants. You could probably fix that easily by raising the waist up a couple pixels, I think.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 08:48:53 pm
The base sprite looks ok.

The animation deforms things in ways that change the mass of the objects themselves.

I would recommend not trying to over animate small movements at this size. The shoulder on the left warps around. And the arm on the right bends at a place where there is no joint - almost extending the bone... and then the hand looks like it clips into the side of a canvas. What is the black thing in her hand? A gun?

The hair as well, the top shouldn't shrink like that. And the ponytail shrinks too.

Be aware of the size of all your clusters between frames, and these problems should work themselves out.

Offline Fluttershaft

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:05:21 pm
I decided to scrap the animation and rather focus on the sprite itself and recolors.

Made it more clear that the gun is actually a grapple hook (was hard to see on this background). Pants are less baggy. Aaand some recolors, thoughts?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:16:36 pm
Much better. Strong clusters. Nice contrast. These look a lot more solid.

The bright pixels on the thigh in 1 2 and 4 don't make a lot of sense. either remove them or spread them along the whole thigh to help define it as the foreground/in light.

The raised arm is a lot longer than the other arm. Measure the upper arm and you'll see that it's a few piels too long.

The hair outline color on 3 could be a more saturated medium brown to blend the actual hair color better, like the others do.

The legs on 4 dont work as well as the others, because the poofy pants are gone and the shape of the leg doesn't read as strongly. More noodle like, less defined boundaries between limb segments.

The orange shadow tone on  #4 doesn't work as well as a slightly more purple tone would.

I'd recommend not saturating every color so much. Saturation is a valuable tool to make things pop. Perhaps save the super saturation for only certain parts of the sprite on some of these.

Keep it up  :y:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:18:30 pm by Atnas »

Offline Fluttershaft

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:44:23 pm
Alright I'm pretty happy with these, maybe I'll add 1-2 more alts on my own and ready to submit :D