AuthorTopic: pixel comic: something dark  (Read 17253 times)

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Re: pixel comic: something dark

Reply #30 on: October 03, 2006, 05:00:17 am
I like it alot, nice mood, though the first panel looks more like a video game, and alot more simplistic than the others.

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: October 03, 2006, 05:03:26 am

Quote from: Sqorgar
I'd just dump the entire lower outline, keeping only the highlights on the head and wings, leaving a huge dark abyss. For this kind of mood, you don't ever want to show full shapes.
Quote from: ptoing
The creature has no beak either. I, knowing that Lackey likes himself some Lovecraft, assume he wanted to make an odd, surreal creature that works in ways humans can not really comprehend.
Ptoing is correct, but I still feel Squo has a good suggestion.  Much as I like featureless organic bizarrarie a little bit of mystery works here.  I then had to remove the decorative scrollworky stuff in this area for aesthetic reasons and I think the piece is better for it.

The comic would work much better if he switched the words to match the chronology of color. He goes walking in the twilight, and after sunset, crap happens. But then, the owl still wouldn't have any feet.
Can't change the words for technical reasons, so I've grayed out the sky there in this edit.  I think it looks good this way, though I still want a patch of concentrated orange somewhere.

Okay smart guy, then how is it carrying the little man in the fourth panel? With its smooth, diet pill like body?
Haha!  I like this a lot.  Also: the answer is magnetism.

Quote from: Frychiko
I like it alot, nice mood, though the first panel looks more like a video game, and alot more simplistic than the others.
This is no accident!

Also, to everyone: I can make up my own post-rationalizations, thanks.  The discussion is lively and informative though as I'm not even sure of what I'm doing when I work on something like this.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006, 10:20:51 am
not quite sure im as much a fan of the edit - its my personal favorite time when the sky occasionally turns deep red/orange in the morning before it starts to get that gray dawn and then the full-on orange/pink sunrise.  keep the orange i think, the gray makes it feel dead
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #33 on: October 03, 2006, 10:27:41 am
Especially considering he's moving towards something alive, a personal experience of importance, not towards a gray death.

Offline sevenfingers

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: October 03, 2006, 10:32:12 am
This is so great it actually made me log in. That has to count for something, aye?
Great work. Just go with the first version, the orange helps balance the piece.

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: October 04, 2006, 12:54:03 am
I very much like this; much better than what I first expected when I saw the title (pixel comics usually don't look so nice :D )
I really can't crit this in any way, however I have a question: What do you mean by Lovecraft? The author, or am I missing something?
I.....am......me............

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #36 on: October 04, 2006, 01:12:38 am
Am I the only one to whom the s's look like z's?
No.
The dark pixel to the right on the bottom makes it look like it extends to that part and ends, looking more z-like. Since the bottom-left part is bright, it looks like it has more stuff in that part (the corner of the z). I can see the s, but I also see the z.

Aside from that, I absolutely looove this. Especially the middle 2 panels. Yesss. :0'

Will you be making any more!? :D

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #37 on: October 04, 2006, 08:35:32 am
Okay smart guy, then how is it carrying the little man in the fourth panel? With its smooth, diet pill like body

Owls can hide their feet really well, smart guy. I do prefer the magnetism explanation however.

http://www.ctbirding.org/photos_owls/snowy_flying_against_sky.jpg
http://www.parkhall-countrycottages.com/Images1/Barn_Owl_flying.jpg
http://www.free-living.com/images/images%20-%20birds/GGO-flying-in-snowing-jari_.jpg
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #38 on: October 04, 2006, 01:00:43 pm
I think adding feet would ruin it.. i like the way it blends into the black bg.  And robotriot makes an excellent point about owls feet.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: October 04, 2006, 07:28:43 pm

Actually, I'm a bit of a fan of the gray, let me explain.

The gray for me, represents the sense of colour-dullness you might expect moving from a artificially lit area to nature. I actually felt in my stomach that when my eye wandered from the gray sky to the purple, i got a fresh-breeze kind of sensation. That way I really liked it.

If my english is rusty and I have weird ways of explaining things, sorry. It'll come back eventually, I hope. Long time since I wrote in english last time 0:

Anyways, I loved it from the start. Great job.
' _ '