AuthorTopic: pixel comic: something dark  (Read 17252 times)

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: pixel comic: something dark

Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 01:26:23 am
I'd really like to see this, but all i see are red X's.  :n:
me too, FIX THEM!!! use this site for it:

http://imagehost.ensellitis.com/

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 01:28:25 am
I'm really not sure what to do about the broken images.  It works fine in Firefox, is it my school's server or something?

Do sunrises where you are from make the sky darker?
No, it does turn it a pinkish blue colour though.

PS: As you wish.

Offline Sqorgar

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 01:56:31 am
I'm really not sure what to do about the broken images.  It works fine in Firefox, is it my school's server or something?
IE doesn't properly recognize PNG files with alpha transparency. Save it again in 8-bit or 24-bit rather than 32-bit.

No, it does turn it a pinkish blue colour though.
And it does this before or after the part where everything is orange?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 02:37:43 am
What is your point Sqorgar?   ???

Offline Sqorgar

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 03:05:05 am
What is your point Sqorgar?   ???
The part where he is supposedly walking at night, has an orange color - the color you would give something during a sunrise or sunset. Then, supposedly after the sun is in the process of rising, it goes to a very dark highlighted purple, which gives it a nighttime feeling. It's like Batman: The Animated Series. They drew on black paper to give the show a dark feeling. But sunrise isn't dark. It's orange first, and then moves lighter and lighter to a whitish color, then light blue to sky blue. On cloudy or winter days, the sky doesn't go blue so much as bluish gray, where the gray gets progressively lighter and bluer. But under no circumstance, does it EVER get darker. It does not go from orange to purple. It goes from purple to orange.

The comic would work much better if he switched the words to match the chronology of color. He goes walking in the twilight, and after sunset, crap happens. But then, the owl still wouldn't have any feet.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #25 on: October 03, 2006, 03:33:15 am
Who says it's a owl in the first place. Also I am pretty sure the colours are chosen to set the mood rather than be realistic. When the colours are swapped (i tried it) the impact is way less that how it is atm. I think this works well from a storytelling point of view.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 03:34:47 am
It's orange because of the city lights...

I think this is great.  Makes me think of some illustration I vaguely recall for Poe's "The Raven"  The mood is conveyed very well... makes me feel like trying a comic.

Only thing is maybe the guy at the top is a little too goofy with his walk?  I like the guy individually, but I'm not sure it fits well withing the whole piece.

Offline Sqorgar

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 03:55:21 am
Who says it's a owl in the first place.
Okay smart guy, then how is it carrying the little man in the fourth panel? With its smooth, diet pill like body?

If I were the artist, I'd just dump the entire lower outline, keeping only the highlights on the head and wings, leaving a huge dark abyss. For this kind of mood, you don't ever want to show full shapes. The darkness left by the lack of definition - the negative space of the clouds - is all you need to define the not-owl, and hey, you don't have to draw any feet then...

Also I am pretty sure the colours are chosen to set the mood rather than be realistic. When the colours are swapped (i tried it) the impact is way less that how it is atm. I think this works well from a storytelling point of view.
I didn't say to change the colors. I said to change the words. The mood is fine. The technical details need some help.

Quote from: Darien
It's orange because of the city lights...
No it's not. In the right side, the little man is climbing a staircase to an orange sky highlighting the trees (or mountains)... but I guess there could be a Walmart on the other side or something... An orange Walmart...

Look, if you really like it and want to see it improve, you can't just come up with excuses for its flaws. This artist deserves better than that. Point out the mistakes so that he can fix them, and so he won't make them again.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 03:59:55 am
The creature has no beak either. I, knowing that Lackey likes himself some Lovecraft, assume he wanted to make an odd, surreal creature that works in ways humans can not really comprehend. And as far as that goes I have to say i think he succeeds.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006, 04:14:42 am
Sqorgar, it isn't neccesary to debate every point made.  This is art, and thus is open to artistic interpretation.  The piece said "something dark", which implies some dark and mysterious figure or force, if one were to give it a name, it would take away from individual interpretation.  Colors are directly related to mood, and it is the artists say as to whether or not the orange is related to the city.

The piece looks great, you've made excellent use of the pallete