AuthorTopic: How Do You Know What Dimensions To Use In Pixel Art?  (Read 5637 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: How Do You Know What Dimensions To Use In Pixel Art?

Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 08:24:20 pm
I'm not going to lock this thread because there can still be some good discussion on this topic.

But.. Please continue the off topic stuff in private, Ai and 0xDB.

--------

As an answer to the OP's question - over time you should be able to feel out a sweet spot for how well the pixels describe the details you want to include. This isn't always linked to cartoony vs realistic subject matter, but it often is good advice to make things a little larger if you don't want to fight the grid trying to make believable symbols for more realistic details.

Think about the piece of art you want to make, and what the smallest possible detail you'd like to include is. Then think about the scope of the image - how much information (information made of those smallest details you considered earlier) you want to include.

And, as always - every program lets you change the canvas size as you work. It's a non issue if that's what the concern is, you're never locked into much of anything.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 08:29:45 pm
@Atnas: I was already writing all this before you posted. I want you to know that I don't feel about this as an argument(as in fighting) and it's important to me to let any possible readers know that there's no animosity here, that's why I am not honoring your request to continue this in private for this last response. I am sorry for the off-topic bits.

.. But I wasn't advocating even -using- those "rules" in any way. I was advocating finding your own principles. Are you saying I presented it in a way that didn't achieve that?

(that's not intended sarcastically; I really do want to know. I just edited out the entire list, but I'm not sure that the update is really an improvement.)
Is it ok with you if I do not go back up there to analyze it? It's been a couple of hours ago and my mind changes its mode of operation a few times a day, so I probably could not give an accurate description of what it was anymore at this point. The mind may have been just feeling overwhelmed with all the specifics and with imagining how someone with little of their own experience/observation to compare to the given information feeling even more overwhelmed and maybe thinking how being detailed and verbose can potentially have the opposite effect of trying hard to "not be misunderstood" when all the information might feel confusing or incoherent or straying further away from a narrow topic/question.

Well, thanks for taking the time to explain your position, and I apologize again for any sloppy communication on my part. Hopefully this is a bit easier to understand and less annoying. I did shuffle around your message a little in an attempt to reply more coherently.
I think we're good on this and thank you for bearing with me. I don't feel upset or angry or misunderstood and if you don't either, we can and should move on and not linger on it by over-analyzing every last word of the things we wrote earlier. For me that would feel more right than trying to "win"/"loose" or "prove" anything, any point. I think everything we said is valid for pixel art (and other topics too).

It was a good exchange of thoughts. Feels very positive to have it resolved.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 08:38:48 am
@Atnas: I was already writing all this before you posted. I want you to know that I don't feel about this as an argument(as in fighting) and it's important to me to let any possible readers know that there's no animosity here, that's why I am not honoring your request to continue this in private for this last response. I am sorry for the off-topic bits.

That's fine. I only suggested locking it because I had to delete a post, not directly because of you and Ai's discussion, but rather the sort of reaction it was garnering by having it public. Don't want you or Ai to feel like you were doing anything negative. But it has passed now.

Offline HDthunder

• Color is key
    • _HD_Times
    • http://hdsnipes.deviantart.com/
    • https://hdtimes.tumblr.com/
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 02:56:24 pm
thank you all for posting i think this thread is more than enough at this point lol.
I 'll look at all of these and learn from them ever so slowly cause this is a lot to read and grasp.