AuthorTopic: [C+C] Orb UI Element  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Double7

• View Profile

[C+C] Orb UI Element

on: June 30, 2016, 02:37:07 pm
Hey guys, I am currently working on some UI elements and I am tackling the "health" orb while having nothing to do at my job.

Right now I am just focusing on the actual orb, (the wraith is nowhere near done, so it looks like shit atm).

I have done some orbs in the past but none this large, usually around 32x32 size. So any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, I will be sure to update this topic when I finish the wraith and other parts of the UI.

Here it is with less outline on the orb's border

Updated the wraith. I don't really care for the right part of the wraith but I don't really know what to do with it. Any ideas?

Most Recent Version :

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 04:15:49 pm by Double7 »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] Orb UI Element

Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 12:26:13 am
A straggly "tail" on the cloak could help balance out the piece more, have it curve around the orb a bit.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 02:25:31 am
Interesting design :y:
Needs contrast and some color.
I'd make the lines of the highlights in the ball cleaner.
I personally prefer the sharp blade of the previous versions :P

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 01:22:45 pm
good stuff! i'm a sucker for artsy hud design.

As others pointed out the contrast and colors are very flat. Dont be afraid to go with some variety.
The liquid looks too dark, almost black with a very dim violet sheen. Since it is supposed to be health, i'd suggest to go with more conventional colors.

The posing of the wraith is pretty stiff, try to make it a more menacing pose.
Scythes rarely have a straight handle. They're originally ment to cut grass in a swinging motion so the handle is bent in a way so the blade can grab a lot of grass at a time/cover a large area. also it looks more interesting :)

Here are some more thoughts on it (lack of words)

Keep at it \o

Offline Double7

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 01:54:12 pm
Thank you for the feedback guys. I will definitely work on it a bit today and update you all in a few hours.

Meat : I am kinda unsure what you are visioning here. I don't know how to make it "wrap" the orb without it looking somewhat unnatural. Any references that could help me understand?

Curly : Any ideas on how to clean up the ball a bit? I will put some more time into it and add a few more shades if needed.

wzl : Definitely going to mess with the contrast a bit, I noticed the problem when it was put on a darker background and the colors of the cloak no longer popped as much as it did on my white editing background. As far as the color of the health goes, it was actually going to be completely black until I talked to my co-dev and told him some color would be needed. We are trying to break a convention of "health" and instead give our main character a sort of "power" remaining. Our game has a design where everything is dead, and the living are the enemy, so health would be something the enemy would have. I completely agree though that it would look better with red. You are so right about the scythe now that I look at it, definitely going to change that.

Also, what should I do with the other hand? I was wanting to have it on the other side of the orb but it would make it look to stretched out. I think that putting it on top of the orb next to the head would make it look as if he is climbing out from it.

Thanks again for the advice guys, I will update you all on the progress.

Offline Double7

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 04:12:57 pm
Went ahead and messed with it a bit more. Made the orb liquid a bit brighter so it pops a bit more.

Curved the shaft of the scythe to be more accurate to an actual scythe. I also darkened the blade a bit a bit

Not sure if the tail side of the wraith is what I want it to be yet, but it is definitely better than before.

Added some skulls to the bottom to give some more clutter to the picture.

Image with full Orb :

Image with less liquid in orb :
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 04:14:53 pm by Double7 »

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 03:29:00 pm
Not a big improvement :blind: The orb is a little brighter but it still has the same problems.
wzl edit was pretty nice btw

Edit: I didn't see your previous post until now :lol:
The lightning shape is now cleaner :y: but I think something like this would look better.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:39:11 pm by Curly »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 07:21:22 pm
Sorry for taking so long to get this made, this is sort of what I meant by my post.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |