AuthorTopic: [C+C] [WIP] Rock Tileset attempts and frustrations  (Read 2467 times)

Offline tiffybits

• View Profile
:) Good Morning All!  This will be my first post ever here! I have been trying to make a platformed mockup , a passion project for fun, about a treasure seeking astronaut who goes into different planets (each planet has its own theme), and seeks out a treasure chest (Space pirate  :P ) . The first planet I want to design is going to be a simple rocky planet , I kind of had the moon in mind for the exterior and a rocky cave look for the interior. I have been practicing drawing rocks all yesterday but Im not very happy with how they keep turning out. My main issue at the moment is the rocks not all looking the same, and getting the tiles to be seamless. Here are my attempts so far:

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

Attempt at Dirt + grass using Pyxel Edit

I like where Im going with the 4th one so far, and its the one where I adhered most to a reference.  I would appreciate any advice on how to get "rockier" rocks, or just any advice in general. Thank you !
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 01:48:00 am by tiffybits »

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] [WIP] Rock Tileset attempts and frustrations

Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 02:38:29 pm
The first one is the most pleasing, it doesn't look artificial.
To make repeating patterns, use any graphic editor which lets you preview what happens when the tile is repeated horizontally and/or vertically. Lots of programs will update the view while you're drawing, it's the most comfortable.
Grafx2, Pyxel Edit, Pixothello, Cosmigo ProMotion... all have this feature.

Offline tiffybits

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 03:21:23 pm
Thank you for the advice  :) Im a newbie so I've only been using photoshop, but I see a lot of people on here use other programs that seem more catered to game dev. Im going to have to try some other programs.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 06:11:12 pm
To make repeating patterns, use any graphic editor which lets you preview what happens when the tile is repeated horizontally and/or vertically. Lots of programs will update the view while you're drawing, it's the most comfortable.
Another method I use when  using programs is to set up tangent points, like in this picture here:

This method can result in some pretty obvious tiling, but working like this can get you in the right mindset for planning out where it all links up.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline tiffybits

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 08:42:57 pm
Another method I use when  using programs is to set up tangent points, like in this picture here:

This method can result in some pretty obvious tiling, but working like this can get you in the right mindset for planning out where it all links up.

Thank you :-) I really appreciate the tip!

Offline tiffybits

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 01:49:36 am
Thank you guys for the tiling suggestions they've really helped! I especially enjoy using pixel edit, I've started a dirt/grass tile, and here is how its looking so far, I really like how the dirt tiles  :)