AuthorTopic: Cool pixel game effect, how do?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Dreamling

• View Profile

Cool pixel game effect, how do?

on: June 26, 2016, 06:52:29 pm
So I've been wondering for awhile about how to get this specific effect where you have a game sprite and then a weapon or other item as a separate sprite that moves independent of it and can rotate/bounce/move in a pixel perfect fashion. I know that it has to do more with coding and the game engine you use, so maybe this isn't the best place to ask. I've been playing around and trying to learn how to develop pixel games and I'm eager to learn about how to do this. Does anyone know how/what programs artists are using to achieve this effect? Some examples I've seen of this sort of effect are in the games NYKRA and Path to the Sky.  ???

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Re: Cool pixel game effect, how do?

Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 08:12:45 pm
There isn't one specific software or engine that will give you this effect, you'll be able to do something like that on most of the engines (GM, unity, contruct2 ...) and you won't have an specific path you need to take to achieve this effect, that's fun part, you can do it your own way.  :)

You can always look up which engine was used on the games you mentioned but I'd say that's not really important. Find the engine that you're most comfortable with and start coding.

If you don't know how to code yet I'd suggest construct 2 or game maker (I don't know about C2 but GM has a great community around it) oh, forums that focus more on development like TIGSource might be good too, they have a lot of content/discussions on those kinds of topics.  :y:

Offline Dreamling

• View Profile

Re: Cool pixel game effect, how do?

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 09:04:33 pm
There isn't one specific software or engine that will give you this effect, you'll be able to do something like that on most of the engines (GM, unity, contruct2 ...) and you won't have an specific path you need to take to achieve this effect, that's fun part, you can do it your own way.  :)

You can always look up which engine was used on the games you mentioned but I'd say that's not really important. Find the engine that you're most comfortable with and start coding.

If you don't know how to code yet I'd suggest construct 2 or game maker (I don't know about C2 but GM has a great community around it) oh, forums that focus more on development like TIGSource might be good too, they have a lot of content/discussions on those kinds of topics.  :y:

Hey, thanks for your reply! I will definitely take your suggestion and check those out. I've already started working with GM so I'm glad to hear you can do that sort of thing on there!