AuthorTopic: Knight Attack Animation  (Read 4874 times)

Offline Janos

• View Profile

Re: Knight Attack Animation

Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 04:10:25 am
Just did a quick edit and made that change. Looks better now thanks for the tip

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 01:31:52 pm
The general motion looks mostly correct. The strike is just too linear. I removed a bunch of frames, added some new inbetweens, stretched it out a bit and made him more commit to the strike.
The stretching and crouching helps to convey more intent in the strike, as if he's putting his all into it.

Also the foot sliding. Such a tiny detail, but it makes the strike look less powerful. Usually you want to stay rooted when striking someone, or you might go off balance. There is ways when you want to move your feet or legs before a strike, but that usually has certain purpose. getting more torque out of your hips, going into a narrower stance to be less targetable. In your case i see neither of these happening so it looks like a movement for the sake of movement. When you move something try to figure out why it moves.

Offline Janos

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 08:52:45 pm
I understand what you mean about the movement and having the feet planted. Your edit made him look like he strikes with way more power now. I think I was just trying to make it as smooth as possible and have as many frames as possible. Having less frames definitely gives his swing more force. Thanks for the tips and advice I will probably take your edit clean it up and use that thanks again

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 10:11:27 pm
I understand what you mean about the movement and having the feet planted. Your edit made him look like he strikes with way more power now. I think I was just trying to make it as smooth as possible and have as many frames as possible. Having less frames definitely gives his swing more force. Thanks for the tips and advice I will probably take your edit clean it up and use that thanks again

It's in bad taste to take an edit someone made for you and edit it back and use it for your own purposes. The intention of edits on this forum are to help you improve, not to make your assets better. You are permitted to take the ideas, but not the actual work that wzl did for you, excluding the rare case the editor grants you permission, however this is rarely the case, as they would not have made an edit if they weren't hoping you would learn something.

As an aside, animating things with more frames (given a consistent framerate) in between two points slows it down, as it is distance/time, or velocity. If you want a smooth strike without sacrificing power or bumping up the framerate, you can use the frames to either side of the slash frame itself on the timeline to telegraph a smooth feeling. Especially follow through can help with this.