AuthorTopic: World War II biplanes fighting a dragon! Raaargh! (WIP)  (Read 4834 times)

Offline Frankiesmileshow

• blargh
    • View Profile
    • Frankie Smile Show
Been working on it for a while now, recently started to work on the background.

Its the first time I try such a large picture in color, so criticism very appreciated!
(comments are ok too. Puts some fuel in ze man-machine)

I should have drawn my background and actors at the same time. When I started to work on the back, I changed my mind as to its composition, and now the lighting
is horribly off... ill correct it as I go. Ill also put much more contrast on the dragon and planes.
shlong

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Re: World War II biplanes fighting a dragon! Raaargh! (WIP)

Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 10:48:12 pm
its looking great so far, I cant wait to see the finished product!

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 11:20:42 pm
Dude... Awesome. That is a sweet dragon. Something about the clouds is definitely off, though.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 02:27:06 am
A lot of this is pillow shaded. Mainly the right plane and pilots. I suggest fixing it.

Other than that <3

Offline cb43569

• View Profile
    • zConnection

Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 11:01:15 am
Good gods, that is amazing :o. Nobody on this Earth can match up to this fella's pixelling skills ;D! Well, actually, they probably could, just complimenting, n'all, t'is all... :).
Although maybe you should work on the shading, nobody likes pixel pillow shading.

EDIT: Oops, why did I say pixel shading? It's pillow shading, damn it...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 11:03:02 am by cb43569 »

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 07:12:05 pm
Very impressive, can't comment further until it's complete, good luck

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 08:28:40 pm
As I've seen in a few of your other works, texture is taking up too much of a preference over actual form.  In your textures, you are making the bumpy parts lighter while not making the cracks in between them lighter.  This is what's contributing to that pillow shading effect.  I would first use the colors to define the overall shape of the beastie, then use things like style dithering, shadows and highlights to create texture, bumps and pockmarks.

The perspective of the planes is wonky, especially the landing wheels.  It makes them look wobbly and flimsy.  Also the claw being in front of the foreground plane seems very unrealistic and it messes up the scale of the piece. 

Also also, some elements of the design of the planes make them seem like not the same plane, especially the size of the pilots in relation to the planes.  Make sure you have the same scales, and make sure the details on the side of the planes match up.

That's all I can come up with for now.  Just give the piece a little more creative thought and keep going!

Offline Frankiesmileshow

• blargh
    • View Profile
    • Frankie Smile Show

Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 10:00:08 pm
Thanks for everyones' comments! This is my first large, multiple-object scene, so I need them' critics!

For the clouds, I wiped hem out and starting them anew...
And about the front claw, im trying to make it larger.

About the texture problem, I did see there was a problem but couldnt quite put my finger on it, so thank you Faktablad for this, it does come from the cracks (hehe, seems so obvious now: as the scales go lighter, the "pillows" fluff and fluff... )
Though I am not sure about what you mean with this problem being in my other works as well. I do see the problem in this piece, but I dont think my textures have this exact problem in my other sprites...(they do have other texture-related problems though, especially my metallic surfaces, which are always too soft...)

And you are absolutely right about me working the textures more than the form; sometimes my texturing completely change the base shape and aspect of the object im working on, surely just a lack of experience from my part. Did you see many other pixel artists with the same problem as mine, or is it just a very obvious problem to you?
shlong

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 03:10:00 am
I remember dealing with the same issue with one of Turbo's works, a reptilian arm.

Sorry if I made too much of a generalization about your other pieces, I probably shouldn't have said that.  Perhaps it's because you have such a distinct style.