AuthorTopic: Help! I don't find the right colors  (Read 2631 times)

Offline hellgater

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Help! I don't find the right colors

on: June 23, 2016, 11:43:43 am
My pixel art is not the best but I'm quite happy with it, the problem is that I can't find the right colors to use and everything looks like a little off.

Now I'm working on a personal project and this characters are the first part of it (main character and a couple of enemies). I like it, but the problem is the colors  >:(

Please help me!  :-[

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Re: Help! I don't find the right colors

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 03:43:00 pm
I really like the character design :y:
I think the highlights in the yellow cloth makes it look metallic and the hair could be more saturated.
This is how I would draw the girl (don't mind the weird arm pose and the missing limbs :) ) I also made some shapes softer.

Looking at it now I think the mid shadow in the hair could be a little too bright.

Offline hellgater

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 03:51:20 pm
I really like the character design :y:
I think the highlights in the yellow cloth makes it look metallic and the hair could be more saturated.
This is how I would draw the girl (don't mind the weird arm pose and the missing limbs :) ) I also made some shapes softer.

Looking at it now I think the mid shadow in the hair could be a little too bright.

Thank you! I really like it too but I think the colors are killing it haha

What you did is amazing, that looks a lot more like what I want, it's like the right palette  :)

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 04:10:36 pm
Glad it was helpful :)

Offline hellgater

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 05:09:54 pm
Glad it was helpful :)

I made some changes with what you did and I think that now looks a lot better than what I did. (Btw, I change the color of the legs because the legs and the hand are metallic :P)

What do you think?

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 05:36:48 pm
The legs look a lot better than the original :y: Maybe a bit too shiny?
I noticed they were metallic, but failed at shading it properly ::)
I prefer the left arm pose in the old one, but with some improvements.
Also I don't know why made a human skull. It would look cool if you made it a bit larger so it covers the shoulder completely.

By the way, edits are meant to be an example or guide in order to help other people improve their own creation.
I personally don't mind if you try things on mine or whatever, but keep that in mind :lol:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:44:55 pm by Curly »

Offline hellgater

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 07:01:25 pm
The legs look a lot better than the original :y: Maybe a bit too shiny?
I noticed they were metallic, but failed at shading it properly ::)
I prefer the left arm pose in the old one, but with some improvements.
Also I don't know why made a human skull. It would look cool if you made it a bit larger so it covers the shoulder completely.

By the way, edits are meant to be an example or guide in order to help other people improve their own creation.
I personally don't mind if you try things on mine or whatever, but keep that in mind :lol:

Yeah I know, I only wanna see how it looks the full body with your edit, now I'm working in my own edit  ;)

----------------------------

This is my own edit, I mix some colours of yours with ones of mine (that skin colours are the best, sincerely xD And that yellows works too), and the belly part was a really good idea with a little change. I change the metallic hand and now looks better and I change some little thins like the hair, the scarf, the left arm, the skull and the legs.

That really helps me with the color issue, I'm going to try it with the enemies now. Wish me luck xD

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:14:15 pm by hellgater »

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 09:09:28 pm
Good job :y: Nice improvement on the metal hand too.
Her left arm still bothers me, and it looks longer than the other.
About the skin color I usually pick a light color between red and orange. Yours was very yellow (and desaturated too) in comparison.