AuthorTopic: [WIP]undertale [sprites+scenes] remake  (Read 4047 times)

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

[WIP]undertale [sprites+scenes] remake

on: June 23, 2016, 01:42:29 am
Hi, I'm doing a study piece recreating some sprites and scenes from undertale.(no technical restrictions)
I wanted to share those pieces with you guys, maybe get some feedback during the process  :)

EDIT: scenes + some polish
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:45:41 am by MAVW »

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Re: undertale [sprites+scenes] remake

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 02:12:32 am
I really like them <3
Only thing that looks weird to me is that Frisk's hair looks too round when (he/she?) is facing forward. I think it should fall like in the previous sprite.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: undertale [sprites+scenes] remake

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 02:42:31 am
These are great! I do have some minor nitpicks, though.

-Frisk's hair seems a bit too round on the front view.
-Flowey's petals are a bit lumpy looking. The anti-aliasing between the petals and his face doesn't work either.
-Overall, your colors are a bit too muted and close together.

I did an edit to demonstrate the last point with Sans.

Yours -> Mine

Most of your palette seemed to be from the same hue, which killed the contrast imo. If the washed out look is what you're going for, then disregard this.  :) (though in that case, you may want to lighten the outlines to match)

Oh, and a super minor nitpick- Sans only does the one-glowing-eye thing during his boss fight, so if you want him to look friendly I'd add the second eye.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Re: [WIP]undertale [sprites+scenes] remake

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 07:28:29 am
Didn't expect to be that hard to draw Papyrus, I'm sure I'll wake up tomorrow and find a bunch of mistakes.

Thanks Curly/Pizza Tom!  :)

tbh I was going for a washed out look putting the colors close together but now, I see your edit and I'm reconsidering this approach to something more cheerful haha. It worked well on Frisk because he/she has more colors than Sans..

(yeah the sans thing, when I get to edit the original ones I'll take his eye off, forgot to do it before actually.)

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 08:55:47 am
Two new scenes, Toriel's house and Sans encounter. I'd say I'm satisfied on how tSans scene turned out ,but I'm struggling to finish Toriel's house because of the fireplace. The "bulk" part is pretty much done, but those details.. specially getting a good shiny-golden-metal-texture on the side supports. I'm looking for a pixel art metal reference, I'm 100% sure I had somewhere and it's nowhere to be found now, if someone has an image or some tips it'd help me a lot, thanks :blind:

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 06:02:58 pm
RE: toriel's house, I'd change the floor coloring a bit to be slightly darker to contrast better with the rest of the room. As is it looks a bit too close.

For metal, I usually study off of the metal slug sprites or look up some of the pre-made RPG maker tilesets, I'll embed a couple here.

PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |