AuthorTopic: Foot Player Iceland  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Neometry

• View Profile

Foot Player Iceland

on: June 28, 2016, 04:20:37 pm
Helle everybody, I post this topic to have some critique in my work. I tried to do an humurous character if an Iceland Football player.
 So, if you've seen something wrong tell me and help me to rectify it.
Thank you
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 04:22:16 pm by Neometry »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Foot Player Iceland

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 04:43:03 pm
What do penguins have to do with Iceland? Penguins live about as far from Iceland as it gets.
But in case that's part of that joke that I'm just missing: penguins don't very very well-defined necks, so it'll help if you have the bird's head just slope into the shoulders instead of having a narrower neck area.
Also, they have shorter flippers. The flippers here are very long and blend with the body. If you make them shorter and don't have them go in towards the body, they'll read more clearly as flippers. As-is, it reads like a fat armless body instead, because the flippers read as part of the torso.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Foot Player Iceland

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 08:53:39 pm
The way you are shading right now is tempting to pixel art beginners because it looks smooth from a distance, but unfortunately it doesn't describe any meaningful lighting.

Especially when you are working with a character that has a main tone of black on the surrounding portions, becoming darker near the edges only serves to mystify those boundaries, as the softer the transition in tones is, the harder it is to not see the jump to black as a gradual one as well.

If I had color advice, it would be to lower the saturation of the main blue where the most light is, and only saturate that much in areas where light is bouncing around between blues, such as folds. In doing this, people usually end up with a more desaturated bright end of a palette and saturated dark end.

Another artifact of pillow shading as you have done is banding, which is where horizontal or vertical lines of pixels appear to hug the boundaries of other pixels. you can see this below the shirt or on the beak itself, where the steps in the lines serve to create rectangles out of the shading and work against the purpose of shading - that is, to describe a form.