AuthorTopic: [C+C][WIP] Slashing and Running  (Read 13353 times)

Offline [Friends] Ro$$

• View Profile

[C+C][WIP] Slashing and Running

on: June 22, 2016, 02:04:18 pm
I recently started doing pixel art again! I've been working on this little guy's sword slash. Any critique would be great! The colours and detail are still a bit rough, I'm trying to get the animation working first.

I have also been working a little bit on the running animation and thought I'd look for some critique.

In game:

Previous Slash versions:
V1:
V2:
V3:
V4:
V5:
V6:
V7:
V8:

Previous Running versions:
V1:
V2:
V3:

Thanks for the comments  ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:21:06 pm by [Friends] Ro$$ »

Offline Double7

• View Profile

Re: slashing sword

Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 02:20:32 pm
I really like this animation and would really have to knit pick and just stir up suggestions to really give any critique. I wish I could slow down the animation to make sure, but I think that the left leg (for the player) is missing the white that the right leg has throughout the animation. It makes it look like it is slightly a different style on each leg. Also on the last frame the pants lack any of the colors used for the belt/pockets.

Other than that there isn't much about the animation that I can find, very well done OP.

Offline [Friends] Ro$$

• View Profile

Re: slashing sword

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 04:57:46 pm

Double7:Thanks :D I should have specified that the actual detailing is fairly rough for now - I'm trying to make sure the animation is good before I detail everything. Good catch though!

I've done a slight update - widened the tail of the slash and made it last a bit longer.

Offline [Friends] Ro$$

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Slashing Animation

Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 04:31:43 pm
Added a second hit to the slash and changed the tail of the first slightly

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 05:59:39 pm
I think the second slash is still a bit confusing, it looks like he's spinning the weapon all the way around his body because it doesn't follow the same arc as the first hit.
Motion trail makes the swing sequence look like a circular motion.
I'd have it do sort of an uppercut or a mid-level poke to fix that, the former leads into a launcher attack for air combos while the poke would be a good variation from swinging and could also serve as a knockback attack.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline [Friends] Ro$$

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 02:14:01 am
MysteryMeat: Thanks for the critique! Do you mean that it looks like rather than coming back around on the same side as the first swing, it's actually gone around his body again?
Shouldn't the swing be in a circular motion, as the blade traces a half moon approximately from his left shoulder to his right foot?
I'll get working!

edit: Tried to address the swing and added a few more frames at the end to make it loop
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 12:04:23 pm by [Friends] Ro$$ »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C][WIP] Slashing Animation

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 05:32:14 am
its a bit hard to describe, at a glance it looks it, if viewed from above, would be the zelda spin slice.
to fix it, i' m saying have the sword move upwards along the path the downswing took or make the second part a stab motion.

Offline [Friends] Ro$$

• View Profile

Re: [C+C][WIP] Slashing Animation

Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 04:02:14 pm
Hm I see what you're saying! It feels less natural to slash up the same arc though. (I've spent lots of time in my kitchen using a spatula as a sword trying to figure this out) I wonder if there's a way to change that without altering the path of the swing too much.

Also here's a couple of gifs of how the slashes look in game. I have also included the running animation, as it looks like it may need some work!

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C][WIP] Slashing and Jumping

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 07:20:10 pm
Here, I managed to find a few good examples of what I'm thinking
https://youtu.be/gIIlNtdoSAQ?t=148
if you skip to about 2:30 you should see the upwards slash, though looking at gameplay videos of soulcalibur and the Berzerk game(s?) might be helpful too for that big chunky anime-sword type deal you seem to be going for here!

As for the running animation, it feels like a sped-up jog, there's not enough follow through on his steps to really make him move that fast.

Right click video, 'copy video url at current time'. Updated your link - Atnas
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:23:47 pm by Atnas »

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9092.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C][WIP] Slashing and Jumping

Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 10:35:11 pm
6 frame run cycles are hard! But not impossible.
I recommend you use this image as a guide, only look at the odd numbered frames

The important moments are:
The first connection with the ground, this one is kinda present in yours but not very extreme
The release, the last connection with the ground. This one is not to be found in your animation
The jump position. The odd numbers from this guide would suggest that it is also possible to leave it out, and go with a mid contact position instead, but I'm not sure how well that would work with 6 frames.

I tried to do a quick fix on your run, but there is little I could do quickly without redrawing the whole thing from scratch