AuthorTopic: [C+C] Robot Outlaw  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Mnots

• @_Mnots
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp#iv
    • View Profile
    • Livingston Games

[C+C] Robot Outlaw

on: June 21, 2016, 12:47:17 pm
Couple pieces for a scene that I've been messing around with. I've enjoyed the style, but I'm not too sure I've nailed it directly on the head, so any help is appreciated.

The main thing that I would like critique on is this guy, who would be the player character in the mockup. For reference, he's supposed to be a robot in a sombrero and mexican outlaw's outfit:

This is the scene for the mockup:

and an alien bartender to go behind the bar:

Let me know what you think!

Offline Double7

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Robot Outlaw

Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 02:23:53 pm
I first off want to say that I love the character. The hat is great.

The only thing I would suggest is having the arms come out from the sides of the character rather than the back. You can't really tell for the gun holding arm, but stand up and pretend you are holding a gun like the robot is, it would feel very awkward to hold your off arm straight behind you.

Try moving it a bit forward and have it overlay his body a bit, maybe being able to see the underside of the parka a bit.

Good luck :) I hope that you keep sharing more characters with us.

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 02:34:01 pm
I just wanted to say I love the artwork so far and would be interested in seeing more about this project.

The only thing I can find to critique is the glass the bartender is holding. Maybe reduce the contrast between the two shades? I thought it was a fork or prongs or something else at first.

Please keep posting!
Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.

Offline Mnots

• @_Mnots
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp#iv
    • View Profile
    • Livingston Games

Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 10:50:14 pm
The only thing I would suggest is having the arms come out from the sides of the character rather than the back. You can't really tell for the gun holding arm, but stand up and pretend you are holding a gun like the robot is, it would feel very awkward to hold your off arm straight behind you.

Try moving it a bit forward and have it overlay his body a bit, maybe being able to see the underside of the parka a bit.

To convey the pose I was going for a bit better, here's a reference image:

It's hard to get the angling of it down right, but I'll shift the arm around and post some different positions tomorrow to see which looks best. Thanks for the pointers!

The only thing I can find to critique is the glass the bartender is holding. Maybe reduce the contrast between the two shades? I thought it was a fork or prongs or something else at first.

Lowered the contrast a bit on the glass. Any better this way?

I appreciate the interest so far! I was mostly just playing around with concept ideas on this one, but I may pursue a full demo if it's something people wanna see. :D

Offline drain.

• I wear glasses, play guitar and pixel.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/64236.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 12:23:05 pm
The animation reads to me as a dancing animation rather than an idle animation, he juts way too far down. Try accentuating the movements in a less exaggerated manner.

edit is at the left (4 frames with 0.1 seconds interval), original is right (2 frames with 0.5 seconds interval.

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 03:46:05 pm
Yes, I think the glass looks better now.

And the bartender has 4 arms and is wearing a shirt and tie, correct?
I guess it is a little hard to see clearly but not sure what I would suggest changing.

My opinion on drains's animation edit is that I actually like the original better. The new one makes me think he is hyperventilating or going to throw up. Also the right lower leg bother me as it doesn't move but just gets longer. I guess it depends what attitude is supposed to be portrayed though.
Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 02:39:39 am
Agreed with liking the original idle more than the edit. Like Bad says, he looks like he's hyperventilating or going to puke. Or maybe mid-seizure. *Why does every indie dev nowdays think this ridiculous "idle" cycle is cool? The character isn't idling at all! His limbs are flailing around everywhere! Who started this crazy fad?!* You can tell the idle cycle is completely off, because if you put his robot horse underneath him, you could use this "idle" sprite while the horse galloped! :P
I do agree that the original idle is too much too, though. Just have him bob a pixel or something. No need to make every single part of his body flail around separately, though. Nobody does that. Ever.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 02:50:46 am by jams0988 »