AuthorTopic: Downstage Draft - jam game art  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Final Ninja

• View Profile

Downstage Draft - jam game art

on: June 20, 2016, 02:52:23 am

I recently did the art for a jam game where you switch fans to control your movement and platforming. The game was made over the course of a week, so the animation system/artwork may not be as polished as it could be. We were thinking of cleaning it up for a post-jam version, but regardless of if we do or not, it'd be nice to have some critique so I could improve how it looks.  :)

You can play the game here if you want to see it. The cutscenes weren't drawn by me, by the way.

Character animations:
Walking animation

Idle animation

Jump animation (as intended, it was coded differently into the game)

Enemy movement animation

Level art:

Other:
Team logo

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:05:23 am by Final Ninja »

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/155410.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Downstage Draft - jam game art

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 01:07:11 pm
That character looks like if he was walking backwards, maybe you should change that xD

Offline Final Ninja

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 01:58:03 am
Something does seem off about the walking animation, though to me it doesn't really seem like he's walking backwards. His legs don't seem like they really have enough grip or push I guess. It doesn't really have any character or bounce to it either, though it's probably best to keep it at a fairly normal walk anyway given the tone of the game. I was trying to do the walking animation from a somewhat diagonal perspective, as it seems most games never do their side-facing animations from an exactly straight angle, but I might have gotten the perspective mixed up a bit.

Another thing that might be affecting the way I see it is that the way the animation is coded in the game, the body seems to be pushed backwards instead of the legs extending forward. I don't know, it's kind of hard to figure out exactly what's wrong with it.

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 02:28:00 am
I think he should move his arms more too. Or just separate them from the body a bit. It seems his hands are glued to his sweater :)

Offline SmashAdams

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 02:29:45 am
He isnt walking, he's just sliding his feet on the ground.

use this:

with the above reference, I was able to make this: which looks to be in the same perspective as your character.

hope this helps and good luck on your game.

Offline Double7

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 02:36:19 pm
Make sure to bend those elbows. Walk around a bit and just watch yourself. Try exaggerating your walk a bit too :)
Do the same for jumping too. I think you will realize there is a lot more motion in the preparation for the jump.
Good luck with the art. I am looking forward to seeing more.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 04:41:07 pm
Is the game supposed to have a clunky at style? I feel like if done right it could actually look really good.