AuthorTopic: [CC] A first-time piece (Towers)  (Read 3710 times)

Offline drunkenoodle

• View Profile

[CC] A first-time piece (Towers)

on: June 19, 2016, 11:59:48 am
Hello everyone,
I knocked together this piece over the weekend and are looking for general critique on technique, usage of colour, readability, etc if you've got time to deal some out to a newbie. Frankly I got way too ambitious for a beginner, so I believe that I stretched myself too thin.

I also did a bad thing and used a 'bit' of a photoshop glow on the sign at the top of the main building. So in future I'll be leaving things like that right out!

Literally just getting in to the swing of things, I've rage quit once in the last few days but are determined to keep at it!

Thanks in advance and stay classy.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [CC] A first-time piece (Towers)

Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 03:11:19 pm
Colours:
I think your colours are good for the most part! The blue pipes in the lower right stand out a bit too much so I would make them a little darker and closer in hue to the purples that you're using for most of the foreground. As long as they're bluer and less saturated, they'll still feel blue/grey even if they're actually purple.
The background hills have almost the same value as the buildings in front of them, so they blend together. And it looks weird for a more distant object (the hills) to be less blue/atmosphere-coloured than objects in front of them, especially when the buildings are established by the foreground to not be blue themselves.
The smoker's colours don't fit with the rest. Their colours feel dull and characterless in comparison to the lovely palette of the rest. Let this purple-blue atmosphere affect their colours, don't use their "true colours".

Readability:
The shadows inside of the building are a bit hard to see at 1x, so I would make them a little bit darker. They help a lot with making the building look occupied, but at first glance, I didn't even notice them. I'd also add some to the other buildings, unless they're meant to be empty.
As mentioned above, the distant hills don't blend into the distant buildings.
I don't understand what's going on with the chimney highlights.
Or those greyish highlights on the building bricks, for that matter.

Misc:
Human brains key in on perfect symmetry even more than they do on regular repeating patterns, so those mirrored "grime" bricks really stand out. I'd recommend repeating them without flipping them.
In addition, I'd recommend another variant or two, or at least switching up where you place the tiles. It looks very strange that all the purple-grime and all the blue-grime align vertically, and that although you have two different purple-grime patterns, one is always on the left and one is always on the right.
Put some grime in those clean areas between the floors, too! The grime on your buildings is too orderly :] Also, you can use grime to help tell a story. Who is the grossest tenant? Who keeps their area spotless, even outside? Who has bluegreen gunk leaking down from their window from the fertilizer they put in their houseplants, and who has redpurple grime coming up from their window from doing a lot of greasy cooking?
Lastly, I'd add some cloudy texture to the sky. That overly smooth gradient stands out a bit much compared with the sharpness of all the other shapes. Unless it's meant to be smog, which tends to be rather featureless, and for which a gradient tends to work well. You could still stylise the gradient, depending on what look you want.

Offline drunkenoodle

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 08:16:34 pm
Hey eishiya,
thanks very much for your critique! The colours were my biggest fear to begin with so I'm quite glad that they turned out okay. As for all of the other points, I'll very much take them on board and give them practice. Perhaps it'd be best if I broke each of them down in to sections to work on rather than a large clump.

The piece its self was actually a bit too big for what I was ready for so I got quite lost when working on it. Maybe one to come back to in a few months after more practice?

Once again thanks very much, really appreciate you taking the time to dive in and have a look! :D

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 03:04:52 am
I recommend changing the windows with the lights off. It was kind of bothering me (as in drawing too much attention) as it seemed like there is no window/glass there.

I'm not sure if you want to put a little glare/reflection streaks from city lights or just make them lighter or more purple. Either way I think they are too dark compared to the brightness of the building.

I tried to find some pictures to validate my thoughts. When searching for city buildings results are usually pretty far away and Windows seem pretty dark. Found a couple of closer up ones and can see how it reflects the environment color a little and not just a solid dark color.

Looking forward to your updates!

(Note: these not my photos and not hosting them. The links may die)
Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.

Offline drunkenoodle

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 08:01:44 am
Good morning! I see what you mean actually, even if those rooms were abandoned they'd still have shards of glass around the edges (if it were a run down neighbourhood), or if it was the opposite you'd expect to see some form of window intact for the most part.

I might actually just single out a bunch of windows and really focus on getting to know them. Thanks very much for the advice, more reference can only be a good thing. :)

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 01:13:44 pm
I still really like your tower so thought I would try some small edits, and the pipe smoking motivated me to animate it:

(I guess the guy in the bottom right can't get to sleep...animation didn't turn out to be long enough to make it look inconspicuous)

Also, after the animation I thought I would add another color to some of the big tiles to try and give them more depth.  I didn't spend the time to do all of them, just the middle two rows:

I made a new color for that, which I'm sure some people will say you have too many colors already, but if that's true then why stop using more  :)

Offline drunkenoodle

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 01:30:53 pm
That, is freakin' sweet! With just a few cheeky animations it brings the whole scene to life. One reason why I'm hooked on pixels I guess :P Maybe the bottom right person just enjoys spending his/her nights flicking the light switch on and off. Each to their own right?

Going to give the tower brick textures a good going over to make them a little more unique as I can't unsee the uniformity going on. ; ;

Could be a good piece to keep coming back to as the confidence slowly increases.

Thanks BadMood, looks awesome! :D

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 03:36:27 pm
Thanks but you should definitely keep at it. I really didn't do that much—you did all the work!

I've been meaning to practice making some buildings and/or skylines. I can't make anything nearly that good yet. It's easier to see flaws and do minor edits than create something original.

I think the animation would actually look better more subtle. I just did all of that to show different ideas. I think it would look great with only the smoker animated and maybe one over thing, like a little bird on the roof bouncing back and forth. One of those animations you almost don't know is an animation at first.

Offline drunkenoodle

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 07:12:33 pm
I'll make sure to keep chipping away at it, there's a lot of scope and room to add new things that's for sure. The little subtle animations are the best kind, leaves you always looking for more. Makes the whole experience a lot more fun and interesting.

I'll keep progress posted for sure. :)

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 01:07:08 am
Okay, I'll promise I'll start my own work soon and stop just editing yours, but after talking about the subtle animation I wanted to see it:

Offline drunkenoodle

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 06:00:18 pm
haha, nah feel free to have at it! It's a real privilege to have someone bring your own work to life. I see what you did with the subtle animations, they look pretty effective to be honest!

I wonder how hard it is to make that 'distant shimmer' that you see on hot evenings... I'll have to look in to that. I'm guessing it's just a case of switching hues over time in the same place or something?