AuthorTopic: Just a simple question  (Read 3851 times)

Offline fanifacation

• View Profile

Just a simple question

on: June 16, 2016, 03:42:11 pm
Hi there everyone, ive been working on two differnt ideas for a game and have written a fair base to go off from in terms of what i want from it.

However, i have run into a problem. You see one idea for a game i have is a megaman clone which would be a simple first game for me. But the other idea for a game which i would prefer to do as ive written alot more for it will either be a rpg maker zelda-ish game or a mario and luigi clone.

I have next to none in terms of programming skill but i really want to try tp make well...something! Ive had these ideas bouncin in my head for almost a year and now i feel i should finally start working on them.

Sadly i have no idea which to start on. The one thats simpler, or the one that i want to do a little more but its harder.

Please let me know what you'd recomend i do. Thank you.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Just a simple question

Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 02:08:45 am
Always go simple. Even making a megaman type game is going to take you a very long time. You'll quickly be discouraged when you start to see the true amount of work that goes into an RPG.

Speaking from much experience :ouch:

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 03:32:59 pm
Seconding 32. Even small RPGs are often massive projects. There is a massive amount of writing to do, and they require many more gameplay systems and assets. Platformers are fairly simple, and designing and making one will help you with the nitty-gritty of your RPG later. Plus, wouldn't it be better to do the project you really want to do with a greater skillset, so you can do it better?

Offline fanifacation

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 06:23:42 pm
Yeah, i gotcha, thanks alot guys. I just needed that second opinion.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 07:49:51 pm
Ive been making an action platformer for a couple of years now, it is a lot of work particularly if youre going to have a megaman-amount of mechanics/enemies/obstacles, and the workload is multiplied if youre learning on the job like me. An RPG must be lots, lots more work than an action platformer I imagine, so do the less ambitious idea first!

Offline VaguePixels

• Twitter - https://twitter.com/vaguepixels
    • vaguepixels
    • vaguepixels
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 06:38:02 pm
I recommend making what you like, a small RPG project can take much more time than you've thought, I say first practice programming and art for about a month, and if you wanna start real quick, then just head out to your favourite engine and watch tutorials 16 hours a day, that may get you started in a week.  :y:

Your first game should be something like you don't need to design much, because your very first game should be something that you think covers almost every part of what you've learned, as per your first commercial product, you need to work more on the design rather than the simple design aspects you've chosen for your practice project!  :)

Hope it helps !  ;D