AuthorTopic: [NEWBIE] Help on improving my pixel art  (Read 2172 times)

Offline nhano0228

• View Profile

[NEWBIE] Help on improving my pixel art

on: June 14, 2016, 06:13:07 pm
Hiya!
My name is Noah Hanover, a game developer who is currently trying to create pixel art for the first time. For my first (and only for now), I mainly just used shapes as the basis for all the artwork in the game. However, I realized that if I am going to become a better well-rounded game designer, I would have to be able to make my own art. For that reason, I looked up a few tutorials and started to create some art. You can find one that I created below, and an album of a few characters at the link. I realize already that I have not introduced any shading into my characters, and that most of the characters may seem odd. It would really help me if more experienced artists replied to me either on here or at my email (noahsahar@gmail.com) so that I can make my art better. Thanks for reading!
http://imgur.com/a/boFQj

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [NEWBIE] Help on improving my pixel art

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 08:53:07 pm
Start with normal art basics and work your way backwards, I started with pixel-art and I can't recommend taking that path for others, I only got out of it by forcing myself to draw normally.
Start with some studies on skeletons and muscle groupings, try to draw them in as much detail as you can manage from reference.
You have to understand how anatomy works before you can start breaking the rules believably.

I'd also look into the Andrew Loomis guides, he'll set you in the right direction. Fun with a Pencil is a great primer on art as a whole.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline drain.

• I wear glasses, play guitar and pixel.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/64236.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 01:41:46 pm
The way you approach pixel art is different for all people. It depends highly on your artistic and creative background. What do I mean by this?

If you're a person that has an artistic background (i.e. have some experience in art of any kind, such as painting, sculpting, digital art, or traditional art) then you will have an easier time in adapting to the techniques of pixel art, as you already have knowledge on several techniques and concepts in art that you have to know if you want to be proficient in pixel art, such as concepts in anatomy, composition, colour theory, stylisation, shape and form etc.

If you're a person that is a complete beginner when it comes to art (i.e. have never touched any kind of drawing medium or material before), then it's not recommended for you to go straight into pixel art, this is due to you not knowing any of the fundamentals mentioned beforehand, if you're this person, try starting with paper + pencil/traditional medium, before going straight to the digital medium, because the former is way easier to understand and learn than the latter. Even with this, I wouldn't even recommend going right to the drawing. Reading tutorials, articles and watching demonstrations from the professionals will also help. Pixelation also has a section dedicated to other forms of art, apart from pixel art.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 05:58:40 am
Cool weirdness.  :y:
That dog penis makes me happy.

Try to create a sense of visual priority.
Right now you are bringing everything to the front with the same speed, size, intensity.
As the artist it's your job to show the viewer what they need to know but in an easily digestible manner.

Continue messing with pixel art but def take the above advice.
Learning some art theory will help you a lot.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 07:08:48 am

Good advice.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline nhano0228

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 03:06:18 pm
Thanks for all the input guys! I'll try my best to start learning art theory and drawing to improve my pixel art, and my overall art abilities!

Cool weirdness.  :y:
PS: The dog's penis was supposed to be a broken leg, but I love the interpretation anyway  ;)

PS Part 2(for PixelPiledriver): You made Skelie and Bernie (names are a work in progress) look amazing!