AuthorTopic: [c&c] Grimy Bathroom  (Read 3759 times)

Offline xeokk

• View Profile

[c&c] Grimy Bathroom

on: June 13, 2016, 11:36:51 am
hey guys! I recently started work on a small game project for lack of something to do with my spare time. currently pixelling the main character's apartment & I started with her bathroom cuz I thought it was gonna be the most fun. here's what I have so far:

also with in game lighting:

any c&c helps (readability, colors, the actual drawing etc) the game is gonna be a half point and click adventure, half turn based rpg, so there will be quite a bit of exploration. any input is appreciated :)

Offline SmashAdams

• View Profile

Re: [c&c] Grimy Bathroom

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 06:04:11 pm
gorgeous scene.
but is that mirror reflecting properly?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 06:32:50 pm
oh, good point. Yeah, mirror might need to have part of the tub layered behind it
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Reaper_Grimm

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 07:06:24 pm
oh, good point. Yeah, mirror might need to have part of the tub layered behind it

i cheated and used GIMP but is this the idea?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 09:13:14 pm
Close! Try putting it more towards the top and put the top of the sink faucet near the bottom.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline xeokk

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 11:47:47 am
thanks for the crit guys :D here's a new version. fixed some of the stuff you guys pointed out and added some more things

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 12:54:32 pm
Maybe make the walls a subway-like tile.  It's a little hard to see where the floor and wall meet.  Right now it looks like the shadows are off with a darker floor of the same tile shape.  I would expect the floor to be as bright as the wall in some areas.  Still though, it looks great.  Nice scene.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 06:18:40 pm
thanks for the crit guys :D here's a new version. fixed some of the stuff you guys pointed out and added some more things
Given the angles with the camera, the mirror is more likely to show what's in the lavabo.

Offline drain.

• I wear glasses, play guitar and pixel.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/64236.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 12:58:34 pm
Looking great so far!

First nitpick is that a lot of the shadows seem to be off. Especially on the toilet and trashcan. The said elements are not directly in front of to the side of the light, so it doesn't really make sense for them to have perpendicular/right shadows. Having that circle/cone of light gives you a pretty good point of reference when you want to know what angle to put shadows in, I don't have any access to photoshop right now, but I'll make a mockup of proper shadows whenever I get the chance. Shadows also get bigger depending on their proximity to the source of light, any objects that are nearer to the source will cast a bigger shadow, and vice versa, this alludes to the shadow of the sink. The inside of the toilet + tub also shouldn't be that bright, because the source of light is not directly on top of them, and they're insides are concave. The mirror, I think, is still a bit wonky, I just don't know how to fix it.

Offline xeokk

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 03:17:36 pm
Looking great so far!

First nitpick is that a lot of the shadows seem to be off. Especially on the toilet and trashcan. The said elements are not directly in front of to the side of the light, so it doesn't really make sense for them to have perpendicular/right shadows. Having that circle/cone of light gives you a pretty good point of reference when you want to know what angle to put shadows in, I don't have any access to photoshop right now, but I'll make a mockup of proper shadows whenever I get the chance. Shadows also get bigger depending on their proximity to the source of light, any objects that are nearer to the source will cast a bigger shadow, and vice versa, this alludes to the shadow of the sink. The inside of the toilet + tub also shouldn't be that bright, because the source of light is not directly on top of them, and they're insides are concave. The mirror, I think, is still a bit wonky, I just don't know how to fix it.

wow, this is great input. thanks so much :) I'll get on fixing stuff asap. I've started working on the other rooms as well so it might be a while but I'll definitely update it to reflect the crit I got. thankies!