AuthorTopic: Rewinded [160Kb]  (Read 6401 times)

Offline Gas 13

• Osmi the Octopus
    • View Profile
    • Pixelart and Photoshop tutorials

Rewinded [160Kb]

on: September 29, 2006, 11:44:10 pm
That's the 3rd edit already and most definitely I will not edit it anymore (who knows though). But I'll keep your crits in my mind for the future.

It took me 20 hours, lots of colors :) I have a special ability not to care about color limits if none cares. It's ok to hate me for that.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Re: Rewinded [160Kb]

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 12:20:27 am
Looks awesome, some suggestions:

1. The 2 signs on the shops, animate them slightly to correspond with the wind so violently blowing the trees and bushes. Lots of signs like that here in SF where I live and they definitely move when it's windy, which is always...

2. Add a little chaos to the building, have a sheet hanging from one of the windows, or maybe a clothes line from 1 building to the other with shirts / pants on it that are animated slightly.

The bottom of the image is animated, but the rest isnt, I really think this has the potential to "live" but it will require adding a few chaos elements to get it to do so.

Otherwise, superb.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Ensellitis

• stop stealing my toast, please
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 01:02:11 am
wow, amazing as usually.  my only crit is that the car should slow down, or stop, before making the turn.  great work

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 02:23:16 am
The animation all seems low in the picture. Maybe add one of those spinning chimney things on the roof, it will make the whole image alive, not just the bottom of it.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 05:36:36 am
I like the detail of this piece, especially the animation.
I think you need to break up some of the monotomy of it though. You have three buildings, all the same shaped roof, and height, all parallel to each other. Even changing the height of the buildings could help break that up. Could add things like radiators and such, air conditioning systems on top of the roofs, pipes, all kinds of things.

Another thing, why are the cars taking up two lanes/parking spaces? They seem overly large.

(BTW, is that osmi on the sign?)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 05:41:02 am by Dusty »

Offline Ari

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 06:30:23 am
That is great! I love the way the walls and roofs look, and the trees are very detailed. I love it, looks very real for a pixel art. I agree about the speed of the car when turning, but also, see the truck? It looks like it had to be droped in that position with a crane, or else drove over the curb to park in that small space, that is abrely longer then the truck is in length. Perhaps it is possible to pull out of there without hitting the curb, but what happens when sombody is parked next to you? And my final critique, is the size of the cars. The blue car is covering both lanes at once, rather then just the right one. And the truck, takes up msot of that parking lot. When you compare the car size in proportion to the buildings and trees its a little out of wack. But I only noticed that after really picking through the picture, and it still looks great either way, and you are probably aware of all those things anyways.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 06:39:59 am by Ari »
I see
Said the blind man
To his deff dog
In the corner of the round room.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 10:03:33 am
How do you get it to be soo awesome?
My only crit would be waiting longer before the car comes round, making it look as if it's going right round the block/building.

Offline Gas 13

• Osmi the Octopus
    • View Profile
    • Pixelart and Photoshop tutorials

Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 10:41:17 am
Dogmeat and Takai Soyokaze, thanks for a good point regarding partly animated image.

Ensellitis, true, it was moving slowlier in my 1st non-animated-trees version and then I was re-animating car to have less frames (160Kb still rather large size for that internetmap).

Dusty, I'm not sure how it works in your country but here in Russia they build several same looking  buildings near each other. That's the common practice and I can't imagine if somewhere they build different sized building. It's kinda bedroom community :)

Also there was a reference image from customer:

Also there are 3 signs on the top of the final image. I just don't think they fit the scene (you can check it on internetmap.info if curious). And the cars are really large, you are right. But again they were based on site template.

And that's osmi, yep :D Thanks for crits!

Ari, true true. There's a disproportion in cars and buildings. But that's not my fault :) It's all about chosen proportions at internetmap.info

Skull, that would make the image larger. 40 Kb for 1 second as I can't stop the wind ;)

Scotteh

Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 11:06:57 am
awsome, the movement of the trees is very good but like ensellitis said, it should slow down when it turns the corners :y:

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 12:30:29 pm
Dusty, I'm not sure how it works in your country but here in Russia they build several same looking  buildings near each other. That's the common practice and I can't imagine if somewhere they build different sized building. It's kinda bedroom community :)

I guess that's true, but perhaps you should consider sacrificing a little for the pictures sake. But I dunno.