AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Personal Sidescroller Project  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Elm

• View Profile

[WIP][C+C] Personal Sidescroller Project

on: June 11, 2016, 07:49:54 am
 :) Hello!
I'm a Games Art Student, in a course that primarily focuses on the 3D development. But I've always had a bit of a bug for 2D games, so I decided jump on the pixel wagon.
For the first half of my summer I've been wanting to create sprites and assets for a side-scroller game as a way to practice pixel art. (I find doing it to be pretty therapeutic). Though I'm not 'completely sure' where I'm going with it yet, and I'm terrible animator.
I figured instead of having lots of threads, I'd stick to one development thread!

Currently:
Startign with the main sprite. Working on idle, walk and run animations. I've seen that some people block it out before they detail the actual character, so I'm trying that approach.
I wanted the idle animation to be subtle, not like she'll be out of breath, but as it stands I think its quite boring?

Offline Calcobrena

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Personal Sidescroller Project

Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 08:31:53 am
I couldn't really tell your idle was moving at all. It doesn't need to be overly animated, but maybe just having the shoulders move a little (with their being a small follow-through down the arms).

Offline Xer0bot

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 09:45:27 am
When I see the idle stance i think she could be goofy and just you know be idle.. imagine standing in a queue.. you rock back and forth take a step turn a bit look around.. but if you want to stick to breathing then yes we need to see the breathing. just think of yourself breathing there's a pause once you've exhaled and once you've inhaled. well or me anyway. then the inhaling/exhaling takes a bit longer. so it'd be quite a few frames.
But on that also some foot tapping perhaps you know XD god dmnit this queue!

Offline Elm

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 10:01:37 am
I couldn't really tell your idle was moving at all. It doesn't need to be overly animated, but maybe just having the shoulders move a little (with their being a small follow-through down the arms).

I'll give it a try! I've heard about sub-pixel animation.. but i dont think i can really do it with the block outs quite yet.

When I see the idle stance i think she could be goofy and just you know be idle.. imagine standing in a queue.. you rock back and forth take a step turn a bit look around.. but if you want to stick to breathing then yes we need to see the breathing. just think of yourself breathing there's a pause once you've exhaled and once you've inhaled. well or me anyway. then the inhaling/exhaling takes a bit longer. so it'd be quite a few frames.
But on that also some foot tapping perhaps you know XD god dmnit this queue!

I think a couple of idle animations might be fun. I'm packing to go home today. But I'll probably try recording myself doing some idle things and giving this another go in the evening!
I've been trying to stick to 8 frames? Is there any problem with going over this amount for animations?