AuthorTopic: best angle ? or how do I approach this (house + roof)  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Xer0bot

• View Profile
Hi Pixel artists,

I'd like to create a larger version of the house I made earlier, but a problem I run into is with the outlines, I'm thinking of creating it from like a top down perspective, how ever not entirely top down, maybe 2 o clock ? if the house is at 6.

These houses all look weird to me.

Like should the back of the house/roof remain the same size, or get smaller ? and should it decrease in height or increase ?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:01:26 pm by Xer0bot »

Offline drain.

• I wear glasses, play guitar and pixel.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/64236.htm
    • View Profile

Re: best angle ? or how do I approach this (house + roof)

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 12:25:28 pm
In pixel art, perspective can go two ways. Isometric and Vanishing-Point.

Here is an example of isometric pixel art (credits to Rene Alejandro Hernandez)

http://imgur.com/a/KFtT0#0
Here is a link to an imgur album showcasing Vanishing-Point perspective (credits to Reddit for supplying the link, and credits to the respective artists)

If you know which kind of perspective you want to replicate, tell me and I will do my best to help you.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:30:14 pm by drain. »

Offline Xer0bot

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 12:40:54 pm
Isometric, but not isometric.. isometric looks to me like north west to south east, where I prefer left to right.. but still that top down feel that isometric perspective has

Offline lpflicke

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 07:28:40 pm
I dont entirely agree with drain but I would say that both of the perspectives he gave especially isometric view are 2 of the most commonly used.For a house they are even more so but you could also do something like LttP:

or this which I think you were going for on the 2 drawings on the right:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 07:30:34 pm by lpflicke »

Offline drain.

• I wear glasses, play guitar and pixel.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/64236.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 01:54:14 am
I dont entirely agree with drain but I would say that both of the perspectives he gave especially isometric view are 2 of the most commonly used.For a house they are even more so but you could also do something like LttP:

snip

or this which I think you were going for on the 2 drawings on the right:
snip

It's not only in pixel art, though. There are only really two ways you can look at perspective. What's often called as 'isometric' is actually 'orthographic'. Any drawing without a vanishing-point is considered an orthographic drawing.

I just used the term 'isometric', because it's definitely more commonly used in pixel art and is a term very familiar to most pixel artists.

@Xer0bot Doing orthographic drawings are definitely much simpler than doing a drawing with a vanishing-point. If you're doing a house, starting with a box definitely helps.

Building off a base will definitely make your life easier.