AuthorTopic: [C+C] 4 Kooky Characters  (Read 4264 times)

Offline Shnurbs

• just some dude
    • Shnurbs
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

[C+C] 4 Kooky Characters

on: June 10, 2016, 03:39:14 am
Hi! I'm wondering these characters look since I'm thinking about making a game with 'em. Thoughts?

The first one throws knives, the second one can melee, the third one can charge, and the fourth's a boss.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:57:49 am by Shnurbs »
ayyyy lmao

Offline Xer0bot

• View Profile

Re: 4 Kooky Characters

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 04:55:38 am
Impressions..

First one looks pretty cool, especially that it'll throw knives.. I like the green and the baggy shirt. I dont know what creature it is though, maybe some backstory.

The second reminds me of a maniac that likes getting blood on his hands, the third im not too fond of. The forth seems interesting, depends on how it's portrayed in the game I suppose.

it looks like they'd blend in into the same game,
oh yeah if i look at the first guy he's like.. I was a dork once but then I drank some green slime from a vial back at the science lab where i spent my valentines day, working.. ended up like dis.. I feel evil, yada yada.. heart becomes cold full of sorrow and feels the need to share his 'pain' with everyone else via hurling glass shards at people! woo.. you did say he throws stuff so I can imagine him throwing glass shards drooping with blood as they get hurled. :3

I've no suggestions on art improvements.. will leave that to the masters !

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] 4 Kooky Characters

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 06:49:14 am
Impressions from the designs: First one comes off as a tweaker type, likes to go fast and get deeply involved in internet squabbles over politics.
Second guy looks like he's really into mixed martial arts, probably only listens to the Ryder or Riot track by Kenny.
Third dude's a dog with a goofy grin, like that's all I'm seeing.
Fourth guy's just tryna figure out where the scratches on his dang car came from, and also whether he's mad or impressed at how detailed an insulting caricature of him it is that's scratched into said car.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Iceaxe

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 07:01:39 am
I like the style!

For some critique I'd say the second one looks like it needs a bit more contrast. Try darkening the darkest shade on him. The last one is hard to make out. posture is a bit odd, arms aren't well defined and the back needs some definition. Can't tell what the glowy thing on the back is.

They reminded me a lot of Crawl which might be some useful inspiration.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0a/0c/07/0a0c076fdbe6e60f167a256f582c518c.jpg

Offline Shnurbs

• just some dude
    • Shnurbs
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 01:28:55 am
Added more contrast on the second one and completely changed the third and fourth one. Thoughts?

ayyyy lmao

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 01:38:12 am
Oh man, solid redesigns!  Especially on the robot guy, he looks much more manic and joyful now!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline drain.

• I wear glasses, play guitar and pixel.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/64236.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 02:08:34 am
The last guy immediately read to me as a robot mom with a perm, is that intentional?The second guy has a lot of issues with colour. There's an unnecessary shade of red, and it lacks some contrast. The first and third guy look great, though. Good job!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:20:52 am by drain. »

Offline Shnurbs

• just some dude
    • Shnurbs
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 05:10:50 am
The last guy immediately read to me as a robot mom with a perm, is that intentional?The second guy has a lot of issues with colour. There's an unnecessary shade of red, and it lacks some contrast. The first and third guy look great, though. Good job!

I was trying to go with a more flower kind of design for the fourth one. Does this look better?
I also removed a shade from the second one.

ayyyy lmao

Offline drain.

• I wear glasses, play guitar and pixel.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/64236.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 05:20:31 am

I would recommend darkening the dark red shade on the second dude, but the petals still read to me as hair. Putting them on the front of the head, rather than the back like this can help.

Offline Calcobrena

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 05:26:52 am
Eh, I think it's a matter of personal taste, because at least because of the context, the latest edit by Shnurbs looks well enough like a flower (reminds me of Petey Piranha). I think putting them in front like that makes it less clear what the head shape is, and misses the opportunity of putting them in perspective.

I would suggest you make the darkest red on the flower character less harsh, it pops out just a bit too much to come across as the darkest shade.