AuthorTopic: wip portrait  (Read 6518 times)

Offline Ensellitis

• stop stealing my toast, please
    • View Profile

wip portrait

on: September 29, 2006, 07:23:19 pm
doing a portrait of my wife...  doing it in hires mode

any crits/suggestions?  still wip

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Re: wip portrait

Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 07:53:20 pm
I think you somewhat messed up with the triangles and squares edging her face, it makes it sort of bumpy. Don't use full square at the edges, just triangles, I think that that may fix it. That is if your not willing just to get rid of the triangles (they don't blend well).

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 08:06:56 pm
I completely disagree, the triangles are beautiful. The whole thing is beautiful. Gnargh, let me think of crits later, this just looks good man. ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:33:59 pm by Godslayer »
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 08:31:34 pm
I totally agree with Godslayer. You've really outdone yourself here dude. I especially like the choice of colours. Not sure what to suggest really, perhaps use the random stylistic dithering somewhere else on the picture other than the cheek?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 08:37:32 pm
beautiful work, but lacking in unification imo.  The banding, triangle-cuts, and styled dither are all very well done, but I personally want them to be more mixed in together.

btw, did i mention that this was beautiful work? :P
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:40:24 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ensellitis

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 09:13:05 pm
*updated* mostly on the left side

thanks for the comments guys  :D

Offline Androk

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 11:11:00 pm
Ummm as a newbie it was very confusing to me ntil I read the comments x.x I think making it more unified in style somehow (as was suggested) would help out those like me appriciate it more =)

Oh, and I now know what stylistic dithering is!
She's not guarding right now, she's just holding a thing to pass along to her husband warrior and then go do the dishes and change the diapers on the snake-babies.

Offline Ari

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 11:28:14 pm
That picture is amazing.... I can't even believe you can create such a thing. I think it would look bad with eyes though, unless they were closed. Has you're wife seen it yet?
I see
Said the blind man
To his deff dog
In the corner of the round room.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 11:30:26 pm
Wow man, I think this is probably going to be my favourite piece of yours yet. Are you going to continue on that stylish dithering on the cheek? Because at the mo it seems like just one band of dither value, albeit with stylish bits. Can't wait to see more of this.

Offline Ensellitis

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 12:17:15 am
@lawrence: this is going to be a mix of 2 styles...  the triangles, and the styled dithering.  the scan lines will be comepletely removed by the time this is finished.  so it will be more uniform in that way.  i am also trying to expand the dither more, while keeping to hires restrictions.  thanks for the comments  :D

@ari: thanks for the comments.  her eyes are closed in this, and no she hasnt seen it.  it will be a gift, and i think she will appreciate it more since she has finally learned what pixel art is.   :lol:

@androk: there is actually meaning behind the mix of styles.  my wife is a painter, photographer, and does many many other mediums.  so to kind of show her differences, i am applying different styles to this.  by the time it is finished, or nearing completion, they should "come together" and look much better.