AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C]Rat Knight  (Read 2631 times)

Offline LeafyMystic

• View Profile

[WIP][C+C]Rat Knight

on: June 06, 2016, 09:16:38 pm
I'll be adding a background later but I'm particularly happy with the way he's coming out now. I feel like there's something wrong with the shine on the armor though, and, well, I'm still getting a grasp for color theory. It feels unified but not as vibrant as I want it to be? I dunno.

Offline Yokai90

• I come here sometimes for advice & Eggs
    • boogie45
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C]Rat Knight

Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 04:30:07 am
Hello! I would like to help the best I can and give my two cents.
I first notice that you don't have a particular light source on your piece and I feel like there really isn't any or if there is it seems scattered from place to place I would suggest making a clearer light source.

As well for color theory aaa here I took some of the colors you have and made like what i like to call when testing out colors the  "Circle test."
I took and saw that your mouse's fur was a sorta orange when I took it and checked it in my color hue wheel.

Now taking what you said about to color theory in mind I move it towards first a LITTLE towards the red, as red is the warmer color and next to the color wheel from orange. Thus giving us a slightly darker shade of the color. In the process also I adjust the Saturation and Values in order to not make the darker shade not too bright or not too dull!

For the highlight I just moved the hue wheel up from the orangish color to make a sorta yellow and turned down its variation to make it brighter!

And for the lineart or darker shade- I take my shade I made earlier and make a darker than it was say 2x as much-

With my results I was able to create and test out and successfully create a circle!

Also as a helpful tip like me I need references to work with ALOT. So I would highly recommend especially for metal to look up references of how light source works from different angles and such, as well as for metal. I even looked up ref help when making the circle for you uvu; it never hurts to look up for references.

I hope this helps you with color theory at least a little. Or at least helps you in general!

Offline LeafyMystic

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 05:30:26 am
Thank you for the help! The light source was the largest hurdle and I still need to do some changing here. Like you said, the light source doesn't seem defined on the armor, but I did intend for it to be to the front and right of the rat. I think it came out clearest on the buckler, but I'm not sure how to figure out the armor. There's not a lot of references for that style outside of me trying to stack things IRL.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 07:23:59 pm
Some reworking I did to illustrate a few ideas, notably fur texturing issues and the lighting as you were having trouble with.

For the fur texture, Instead of adding speckles and shapes I did a bunch of sketchy vertical lines next to each other. Rodent fur tends to lay flat rather than spiking up like hair, so you have to work around that.

As for the lighting, all I really did was darken the shines along the left-end of the sprite to better emphasize the light-source, as well as thinning out and reworking certain areas to better fit the contour of the metal. It's not my BEST work on the matter, but I ran out of time while working on it to do more. Hopefully it still helps!

It may help to draw a physical representation of the light source to better help you visualize where it is in reference to the figure.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline LeafyMystic

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 09:31:14 am
So I took both bits of advice into consideration, added a tiny bit of fur depth, kept the body fur entirely because, well, it just looks amazing and I hope to learn from it (fur and hair textures are difficult for me), and added a darker shade to the armor to create a more defined light source. Thoughts?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 11:28:06 pm

Very VERY sloppy stuff, but I did a quick gif of the process for making the fur work that way.
Basically I just do a bunch of paralell lines that curve around wherever it's gotta be, then clean them up till it looks right. For clumpier fur I tend to stick to "V" forms, and for smoother fur I tend to do what I did on the face and have it serve as a sort of contour around the form and highlights like a form of shading.
EDIT: bugger, the recording tool I used actually sucks a bit with it's compression methods. sorry about the visual noise, try to ignore the ghost cursors.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline LeafyMystic

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 08:38:36 am
Oh that's great! Thank you! I'll definitely use that to practice more.