AuthorTopic: [WIP] Treasure Chests woohoo  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Xer0bot

• View Profile

[WIP] Treasure Chests woohoo

on: June 09, 2016, 10:05:48 am
Hi fellow pixel artists,

I have a major affinity for chests, because that's where a lot of awesome stuff are held XD And the better the chest looks, the better the loot! most of the times anyway.

So I decided to create some chests, gold silver and a lesser silver chest. Basically when you look at it it's suppose to tell you well, you're about to get some good loot, so anywhoo..

Here they are. :D

Alrighty so I had a little time left and thought I'd be productive, I think these chests could be animated like presented in this spritesheet ? The chests look kinda fine to me, just that they might need chains if I skip out on the forth sprite where the chest is open.

Any tips ideas ? They were fun to do, I'd very much enjoy creating a range of chests in the future. But for now these are fine for me.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:56:12 pm by Xer0bot »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [WIP] Treasure Chests woohoo

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 03:38:51 pm
The lock/gem/center-metal-thing bits are off-center on them.
I think the silver bits are too light, they "shine" more intensely than the gold parts, so the chest doesn't really read as "lesser" to me. If I saw the two together, I'd guess the silver chest is the fancier one, perhaps platinum.

These look very flat. They're full of texture, but there aren't shadows. Where is the light coming from?
To help the chest look more interesting, you should change its silhouette. For example, make the metal bits stick out a pixel. That would both break up the silhouette, as well as give you more areas where you can have shadows that show the form of the chest better.

Offline Xer0bot

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 05:06:44 am
Hi eishiya, indeed I didn't take shadowing into account, I've yet  to learn to give them more depth though. I think because the sprites are so small it'd be hard to add depth.. I suppose the silver/gold casing could be at least an inch or so thick, which would indeed place a shadow beside it.

I'll give these another shot though, as I'd like to do more.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 06:51:20 am
Try studying some chests from other low-res games. This one I found on google seems pretty close to what you're going for here!

EDIT: took some figuring out, but source found! http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/17657.htm

EDIT 2: As for making the chests look FANCIER, I'd say go with a basic design for more basic chests and a more complex design for more important ones. Zelda does that a lot, you can see the differences at a glance between pretty much all the games. Normal chests are tiny, important chests bigger, and CRUCIAL chests get a fancy animation!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:54:20 am by MysteryMeat »
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |