AuthorTopic: Pixaki  (Read 13531 times)

Offline rizer

• View Profile
    • Pixaki

Re: Pixaki

Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 02:05:09 pm
Thank @Ai  :) Yeah, I came across median cut when I was reading about colour quantisation  — could be useful if I ever want to create a palette from an image.

I have some more user interface questions if anyone would like to help:

Firstly, with an indexed colour palette, what should happen if the user deletes a colour from the palette? Aseprite shifts all subsequent colours back and recolours the artwork so that the new indexes match, but I think that would be really confusing in Pixaki. The other options I thought of were to erase all pixels of the deleted colour, or to not allow the colour to be deleted if it's in use. Any thoughts?

My second question is to do with blend modes for layers. Would they be useful or is it not a high priority for most people?

Thanks!

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: Pixaki

Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 02:30:36 pm
Firstly, with an indexed colour palette, what should happen if the user deletes a colour from the palette? Aseprite shifts all subsequent colours back and recolours the artwork so that the new indexes match, but I think that would be really confusing in Pixaki. The other options I thought of were to erase all pixels of the deleted colour, or to not allow the colour to be deleted if it's in use. Any thoughts?
Well, Grafx2 simply ignores the idea of deleting a color from the palette. The palette is always 256 colors, even if most of those are duplicate blanks. Pretty sure other '256color only' paint programs (eg. DeluxePaint) do this too. You use the swap or sort functions if you need to reorder the palette, and that pretty much covers it.

Don't really have time to say more but I think it's a pretty good + easy to understand approach.

If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.