AuthorTopic: Game Character Art  (Read 2332 times)

Offline wupto

• View Profile
    • Twitter

Game Character Art

on: June 02, 2016, 12:43:09 pm
Hey, so I'm working on this king dude for my game and I would like to hear your opinion on it.
Not sure about the proportions and if everything is fitting together. Especially the legs and arms seem odd to me but I can't really tell what's wrong.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 12:46:34 pm by wupto »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: Game Character Art

Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 01:25:34 pm
I like im :)

About proportions - it depends on what perspective you're going for I guess? I'm reading this as a slight overhead angle, mainly because of the tilt of his head and the positioning of his feet in relation to each other. The proportions are ultra-cartoony and with that in mind, there's not anything that jumps out as problematic to me at least.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 01:26:06 pm
Liking the colours a lot.
Depending on the environment and other characters the proportions could be fine! The "problem" is that if relaxed, his hands would touch the ground. So, perhaps you should make them a little smaller? You could also add a teeny bit of length to the legs (a pixel, two at most), but that's not necessary, I think this stub-legged style could work well.

Offline wupto

• View Profile
    • Twitter

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 02:11:19 pm
Thanks guys!
I like im :)

About proportions - it depends on what perspective you're going for I guess? I'm reading this as a slight overhead angle, mainly because of the tilt of his head and the positioning of his feet in relation to each other. The proportions are ultra-cartoony and with that in mind, there's not anything that jumps out as problematic to me at least.
Yeah the perspective is supposed to be slight overhead. And true, the proportions are ultra-cartoony!

Liking the colours a lot.
Depending on the environment and other characters the proportions could be fine! The "problem" is that if relaxed, his hands would touch the ground. So, perhaps you should make them a little smaller? You could also add a teeny bit of length to the legs (a pixel, two at most), but that's not necessary, I think this stub-legged style could work well.
Glad you like the colours. I tried doing what you suggested and added a cloak.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:23:40 pm by wupto »

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 08:44:22 pm
I like the character too! What kind of game do you imagine this little sprite being in? Looks like it's a king in an isometric strategy game and so I think the proportions look fine, especially for a cartoon style.

Offline wupto

• View Profile
    • Twitter

Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 10:05:40 pm
I like the character too! What kind of game do you imagine this little sprite being in? Looks like it's a king in an isometric strategy game and so I think the proportions look fine, especially for a cartoon style.

Thanks :) It's for my rogue like defense game in which you're playing as a crazy king that lives in the forest. You have your base, defend it, build turrets and when done go to the monsters world that is randomly generated and defeat the boss.