AuthorTopic: [HC] (Honest Criticism) This overhead RPG lady  (Read 4601 times)

Offline inkajoo

• View Profile

[HC] (Honest Criticism) This overhead RPG lady

on: May 31, 2016, 10:26:42 pm

Offline Calcobrena

• View Profile

Re: [HC] (Honest Criticism) This overhead RPG lady

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 11:46:16 pm
I think you're definitely getting somewhere with this! You have a good understanding of where light should be falling on the piece.

At 100% I can't see the blue of the eyes, and instead it looks like her brow line casts a shadow over her sockets. For the white part of her clothes, your two darkest colours (one would be plenty I feel) aren't dark enough. Other areas such as the hair show usage of colour that doesn't create any impact on the overall image (the different hue of pink).

It's a great base to reiterate, however! A strong recommendation I'd have is to lower the colour count everywhere - reuse colours from other areas of your piece. The face and the boots may share a dark colour, for example, but the values around each will make them fit. Reusing colours in a piece will refine and unify your image. :)

Offline inkajoo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 03:11:02 am
Thanks, Calcobrena.  I followed some of your advice.  Here's an update:

The art style is meant to be on the pastel side therefore I didn't darken the darkest colors but I did eliminate lots of in-between colors which heightens the contrast somewhat and I agree it looks a lot better this way.  There are almost half as many colors and many colors are reused in different parts without it being obvious.  There are a few other minor tweaks.

Are the eyes better?  I widened them ever so slightly and changed how I did the eyebrows.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 03:24:38 am
I honestly liked the old eyes better, they looked like they contoured around her face better while these look kinda big and anime-ish.
You also can't top sultry bedroom eyes on priest-ish women, ay
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline SmashAdams

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 03:59:00 pm
I really like your sprite!
I made an edit for what it's worth..

Offline inkajoo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 04:28:38 pm

Latest version.  Numerous improvements including heightening of contrast, clothing, hair, and foreshortening.  Eyes are still "wide", because I think this makes her look more like she could be in a Nintendo game which is what I was going for.  Although I do agree she did good with the sultrier eyes.

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 09:03:03 pm
I like your first version better, only because it seemed more defined...especially the face and hair(in areas).   My edit here is a hodge podge of styles, out lines, color changes, etc.  Mainly tried to define the face and hair.  I like your design tho.

Offline inkajoo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 10:01:11 pm
hey dpixel so i took some details from your version and fixed places where some delineation could help.  i noticed that your version seems more feminine somehow.  i compared the body structure between the two images though, and they were exactly the same!  crazy how just the shape of the head & face can do that.  i tweaked my face but it still doesn't appear as feminine.  next i might try making it more like yours. 

also even more color reduction.  definitely helps with definition and crispness.

i did bring back the slightly brighter, slightly duller flesh tone used in the original for highlights.  it adds something, i think.

i wanted to point out this thing about color to people, you see in front of the neutral gray of the forums she does seem to get lost but in front of the intended background colors, which are quite bright, she stands out a lot more.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 10:04:06 pm by inkajoo »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 11:06:24 pm
I disagree actually, she's lost pretty easy in the grass texture.
I'm colorblind though, so that could be contributing to that.
I'd put her on a stone tiling regardless though, to better separate her from the grass
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline inkajoo

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 11:11:40 pm
I disagree actually, she's lost pretty easy in the grass texture.
I'm colorblind though, so that could be contributing to that.
I'd put her on a stone tiling regardless though, to better separate her from the grass

Of course she should be visible on a variety of backgrounds, but that's why her hair and clothes are so colorful. 

Apart from that, is it better?  Worse?