AuthorTopic: Requesting feedback for jump slash animation!  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Twodimes

• TwoQuarters
    • View Profile

Requesting feedback for jump slash animation!

on: July 06, 2016, 03:45:37 am
Like the title says, I'm hoping for some feedback on the animation. Especially the sword blur, I am absolute trash at that. :<

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Requesting feedback for jump slash animation!

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 04:15:58 am
I would suggest some more cape motion.  The first few frames make his cape not look anything like cloth.  It needs some sort of flowing movement. 

As for the lead up animation, the sword turn could be a bit faster, and use more frames to make it look less jumpy and angular. 

The actual attack is good, but it feels like it's missing the second half.  In addition to cutting off the sword blur, it feels like he only swings the sword half as far as he should.  He needs to continue the swing to flow downwards rather than just have it suddenly stop.

Also, just in general, all of the colors could use more diversity.  The entire body looks like it's one color unless you look really close. 

Offline Twodimes

• TwoQuarters
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 12:42:02 pm
Thanks for the tips! I'll try to make my next animation better.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:02:40 pm
On the topic of blur, it's best to picture it as a way of cheating on drawing between-frames rather than as a part of the animation proper, a tool/effect rather than, say, an arm or leg.
More on topic, the blur should only stretch as far as where the sword was on the previous frame, and the less the blur is on-screen and recognizable for being a blur the better it'll look. Sometimes you can even erase parts of the blur, like with most art you're trying to emulate an effect found in real-life. Footage of movies with motion blur can be a handy thing to look at and learn from, as are many cartoons. Loony Toons used it a lot, for example.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |