AuthorTopic: (Game Dev) Help With Animation?? Don't Know How To Go About This  (Read 3648 times)

Offline DasPixelArtistBen

• Troubled Pixel Artist
    • View Profile
 ??? Here Are My Current Sprites    
    , Here Are My Current Sprites, I Just Have No Idea To Go About Animating My Character, I Just Dont Know How, Any Ideas How To Animate? ??? Reloading, Reloading While Jumping, Shooting And Running, Jumping And Reloading, Weapons On The Players Back
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:53:39 am by DasPixelArtistBen »

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile
Learn how to use google, find some beginner animation tutorials, make some attempts of your own then come back ;)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!
What program do you use? In general you want a program with animation capability to start getting in on it.
I reccomend aseprite, personally, but there are PLENTY of other programs out there to suit your needs!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

• Troubled Pixel Artist
    • View Profile
i just dont know how to animate a gun rreloading and character movng and stuff

• Troubled Pixel Artist
    • View Profile
What program do you use? In general you want a program with animation capability to start getting in on it.
I reccomend aseprite, personally, but there are PLENTY of other programs out there to suit your needs!
i use gimp as well

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile
i just dont know how to animate a gun rreloading and character movng and stuff

Try first, then ask for help. Even if it turns out really bad you atleast have something to improve on and a starting point for discussion. A crappy stick figure is a million times better than a blank canvas. You can't improve on nothing. The technical side of art is all about doing your own research and thinking. You can't expect people to hold your hand every step on the way and frankly you come across a bit lazy if you can't even bother to make an attempt.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!
i use gimp
[/quote]
Well there's your problem son

jokes aside though, you should super duper look into another program. Gimp's really hard to work with when animating due to how it handles animation, and I can't really recommend it from the experiences I had with it.
As for making an animation, though, take a go at it first then we can work from there. Without that initial work to critique there's not much we can provide outside of vague advice and pointing you at youtube tutorials on the subject.

• Troubled Pixel Artist
    • View Profile
  There Are Some Quick Animations, How Would I Animate Everything???

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!
I'd say you've got a solid start on the basics there!
For things to work on right now, you want to try to focus on getting that walk cycle right.
There's a good visual guide on how they should work here:

You can add or remove frames from it, but this is a good general reference if you want to get it looking good.

Offline SmashAdams

• View Profile
I'd say you've got a solid start on the basics there!
For things to work on right now, you want to try to focus on getting that walk cycle right.
There's a good visual guide on how they should work here:

You can add or remove frames from it, but this is a good general reference if you want to get it looking good.

This is a great reference, and is actually the one I used myself when animating my first walk cycle a few days ago.
Here is my animation:
I excluded the "high point" frames, but as you can see the cycle still looks alright without it. Of course it'd look better with animated arms.

OP, if these animations are for a game, I would suggest doing first just the basic animations (idle, walk, jump, shoot). More complex animations aren't necessary and can be added in later. Things like a reload animation can be substituted with a reload sound, for example. It's important when venturing into a new territory (pixel animation), to keep it simple at first and manageable in order to not get discouraged and lose motivation.
This is speaking from experience.
Good luck on your game and your pixel art'ing, OP!  :)