AuthorTopic: [WIP] Zelda-Style Samus Sprite  (Read 3505 times)

Offline rosecorpse

• new kid on the block (get it? block?)
    • View Profile

[WIP] Zelda-Style Samus Sprite

on: May 28, 2016, 04:49:04 am
Hi! First time posting on the forum  :) !
I've always been interested in remaking Metroid, but in the style of a 2-D Zelda (ie Link's Awakening.) So I made a mockup of a Samus in her suit:

Did two versions, only difference is how the arms are positioned.
What do you guys think? I'm a bit iffy on the legs, but I'm not sure how to fix them. Thanks!!

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Zelda-Style Samus Sprite

Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 02:43:31 pm
I think the amrs looks too much like tubes or barrels on the body sides. Maybe Give the shoulder pad more definition, or better yet use a more dynamic pose for the arms in the idle state. After all, in the games, Samus is always pointing her weapon arm at something :)

Offline SmashAdams

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 03:18:25 pm
I think the amrs looks too much like tubes or barrels on the body sides. Maybe Give the shoulder pad more definition, or better yet use a more dynamic pose for the arms in the idle state. After all, in the games, Samus is always pointing her weapon arm at something :)

Hey OP I really like your sprite, and I thought this guy's suggestions were good so I made a quick edit.

Offline Millefeuille

• kaleidoscopic turns in my heart that burns
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 06:22:50 pm
It has a lot of colors and details for a tiny 16x16 sprite, maybe drop the color count to 5. Consider at such a small size, too many colors usually make your pixel art feel excessively grainy or muddy. Also be wary of excessive banding when you're drawing your lines. It's most apparent in the areas of the sprite where you used those mustardy yellows. Minding these two things will improve the readability of the sprite for sure. I wouldn't actually know what I am looking at here if it were not for Samus being such an iconic character.

Please try your best, and make earnest improvements.  :)

Offline rosecorpse

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 06:34:26 pm

Hey OP I really like your sprite, and I thought this guy's suggestions were good so I made a quick edit.

I think this looks great! I did a few touch ups on the edit, and made an alternate version with Samus' palette from the NES.   

Thanks so much for all your feedback so far!  :-[
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:36:41 pm by rosecorpse »

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 11:09:37 pm
try and show more of the top of the character, and have perspective taper her a little more for that top-down look. heres an edit:

Offline rosecorpse

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 03:05:07 am
try and show more of the top of the character, and have perspective taper her a little more for that top-down look. heres an edit:

Oh man, that looks great!  ;) I'll try and put up another version tomorrow, putting this into consideration. Thanks!

Offline rosecorpse

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 05:33:32 am

Edited @Probo's sprite to be more readable (took @Millefeuille's advice about the 5 colors.) Added a back sprite as well.

Also featured: My complete lack of ability and understanding of how to make a sideways sprite. Any suggestions/tips?

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 06:01:31 pm
try and rotate the sprite in your mind's eye, bearing in mind the perspective. for example her right shoulder will go up relative to the canvas, her left shoulder will come down towards us. facing left we're going to see the top side and the left side of her, your first attempt is missing that top side