AuthorTopic: Pixel Art Beginner Critique  (Read 3056 times)

Offline SmashAdams

• View Profile

Pixel Art Beginner Critique

on: May 26, 2016, 04:15:36 am
I've always wanted to get into pixel art and yesterday afternoon that's what I did.
I started drawing a little scene, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback.
I have little idea about what i'm doing (what is/how do I dither/AA), nevertheless I'm proud of what I've done so far considering i'm a complete beginner to pixel art.
But I look at previous posts and all the beautiful pixel art on this site and it makes me want to learn and improve.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:22:59 am by SmashAdams »

Offline Oscar Blomqvist

• Passionate game creator working on Runegate.
    • View Profile
    • Runegate - IndieDB

Re: Pixel Art Beginner Critique

Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 03:42:41 pm
Not bad at all as a beginner! One aspect I think you can improve is that some parts of image looks a bit overworked, like the logs and the floor for example. Try using bigger areas of the same color; I think you have done a good work with the door!

Offline SmashAdams

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 04:14:55 pm
Thanks for the critique! Overworked meaning it clashes (draws too much attention) with the simplicity of the other items in the scene? I'll scale back the noise on the logs and floorboards and see how it looks. (:

Offline Ashedragon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 07:13:27 pm
That too, but moreso the fact that there is an unnecessary amount of detail that does not contribute to the overall composition of the scene (I think).

Offline washk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 09:34:03 pm

Quick edit, I'm not that good, just to show you the light was not coherent inside the room (the wall especially was too bright). Not that my edit comes with good lightning, but at least inside is darker than outside.

Try to use less colors. Less noise like people said.

Don't hesitate to use hue shifting (if you choose 3 greens colors for your tree, bring the darker color to blue, and the lighter one to yellow for example), it helps to make your pixel art look less blend.

Don't hesitate to make the outline go a bit inside the sprite if it helps separate elements like head and torso.
My twitter @pixelwashk | Devlog

Offline SmashAdams

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 01:21:30 am
Great edit and tips! I definitely went a little overboard with the noise/detailing.
About the last tip: did you make an edit that showcases what you meant about "going a bit inside with the outline", or were you just speaking generally?
either way, thank you!

Offline washk

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 08:00:17 am
This is what I meant (end of tutorial, but the whole is interesting) :
http://samkeddy.com/pixel-art-outlines/

In my edit I had added a pixel to separate head and torso, but in that case it didn't need to go inside the sprite, to have a better separation between the two.
My twitter @pixelwashk | Devlog

Offline SmashAdams

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 05:04:51 pm
This is what I meant (end of tutorial, but the whole is interesting) :
http://samkeddy.com/pixel-art-outlines/

In my edit I had added a pixel to separate head and torso, but in that case it didn't need to go inside the sprite, to have a better separation between the two.

That was a great read, thanks for linking it!
And now I understand and see what you meant.

Offline Xer0bot

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 09:27:05 am
This looks awesome XD I can imagine this art style in a .. a few games in fact, perhaps rpg or survival. maybe mystery, horror. I like wood .-. this image has a lot of wood in it.

What will you work on next ?